Going East to Go West

Trip Start Aug 29, 2013
Trip End Sep 15, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Colorado
Thursday, August 29, 2013

Our day began when Derek picked us up and took us to the airport.  The traffic was really heavy on 270 and 670.  But we were there in plenty of time.  Derek worked at the CWA Union Hall today which is just south of the airport, so it was on his way to work.  We spent the time waiting for our United Flight EAST to Washington, Dulles, Larry on his iPAD and me on my Netbook.  Our flight boarded a little late but we still got to Dulles ahead of schedule.  Then we had a three hour layover.  We rode the train to the terminal we were leaving from and found our gate.  We decided to eat our lunch right by the gate at Firkin and Fox Pub.  Since it is an English Pub Larry got Bangers and Mash and an Old Dominion Pale Ale, brewed in New Jersey.  I got a Turkey Club and a Strongbow Hard Cider.  When we finished I sat at the gate with the luggage and did crossword puzzles and Larry took a walk.  When he got back he said we picked the best place in that terminal to eat. 

While we were waiting they announced that the flight was full and asked people with carry-ons to check their baggage through to their final destination for no charge.  So I checked my carry-on through to Denver.  We departed on time, finally heading WEST.   (We had to coordinate our flights so that we could fly home after 11:00 am on the 15th with Derek.)   During the flight they only gave us two small beverages and no snacks.  I watched the movie "42" about Jackie Robinson.  It helped the time go really fast.  Larry read Newsweek on his iPad.  I tried to do the crossword in the Flight Magazine and got most of it.  It was a tough one.  We arrived in Denver at 4:15 a half an hour early.  We had to ride the train to the terminal and baggage claim where  our bags came out pretty quickly.  Then we took the bus to the Advantage Car Rental.  It took forever because the guy talked Larry into an upgrade but only told him the base price, not all the added costs.  So Larry went back to the original agreement which added to the process.  We got our white Chevy Malibu and got out of there about 6:10.  We drove less than five minutes to the Days Inn and checked in.  We decided to eat supper at Vinny's Bar and Grill just across the street because Days Inn gave us a coupon and because we could just walk there.  It turned out to be a good choice.  Larry had Fish Tacos and a Fat Tire Beer brewed in Fort Collins.  I had a Reuben and water.  After supper we checked out the 7/11 just in front of the Days Inn.  Larry said they didn't have any good beers but they do have sandwiches which might be good for our lunch tomorrow.  Then we walked for a while and went back to the motel.  We checked Erin's flight and skyped with Derek.  Our plan for the rest of the evening is to hang out until Erin calls to tell us she has landed.  We will head to the cell phone lot and wait for her to call again when she has her luggage and is at the door where we can pick her up.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Peg on

At least you have each other. I do not miss travel by air. I'm sure that it has gotten far more testy. Miss Ya. I'm glad you have this time with family. Love ya. Peg

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: