A Day in Vegas

Trip Start May 21, 2013
Trip End Jun 02, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Nevada
Thursday, May 23, 2013

We got up about 7:30 after having both of us woken up at 3:00 because of an "electrical" smell in the room.  We could not locate the source of it but thought it was the air conditioner.  Larry went back to sleep but I tossed and turned for a long time until I finally went back to sleep.  When we woke there was no evidence of the smell.  We took our time getting breakfast etc. and didn't head out for the day until 9:00.  We took the free tram to Mandalay Bay and looked around there for a while.  We located the Irish restaurant that Larry's sister Teri had recommended and the Guinness Store next door.  But it didn't open until 10:30 so we just looked around there and then caught the tram to the Luxor which is right next door to Excalibur.  It was amazing with all the sphinxes and the big needle inside the huge pyramid.  The best Sphinx was outside and it was huge.  We took the tram back to Excalibur where I got my sunglasses and hat for the walking part of our tour of the strip. 

We walked across the bridge to New York-New York and then across another bridge to the MGM Grand.  We walked all the way to the back of the MGM  to ride the other tram that goes behind the casinos on the east side of the street.  When we saw that one trip was five dollars and that we only wanted to go to the next stop at Paris, we decided to just walk it.  So we walked all the way back through the MGM and out to the street.  We stopped at the ABC store and got some  sunscreen, water and more macadamia nuts.  We visited the M and M's store and got a free sample of coconut M and M's which were really good, if you like coconut.  Next we stopped at the Hard Rock and Larry got a pin for his collection.  It has a peace symbol and says PEACE on it with Las Vegas 2013.  We walked down to Paris and went in to find the Parisian street with Le Creperee for lunch.  We got two crepes for lunch, a savory ham and cheese and a sweet one with banana and nutella.  We divided each one in half and shared.  They were both delicious but the sweet one was really good.  After lunch we walked from Paris right into Bally's and then out of Bally's to the Flamingo.  Larry's sister Karen and her husband Barry will arrive here the day we leave and stay at the Flamingo to celebrate their anniversary.  While at the Flamingo we visited the outdoor garden with exotic birds and even some real flamingos.  The pool area is spectacular and lots of people were taking advantage of that.  Then we headed back to the hotel room to rest for a while.  We walked all the way back.

I napped for about 2 hours and woke up at  3:30.  We got ready and headed to the car to drive to the Mirage and park.  We walked into the Mirage and found the theater where the Beatle's Love Show by Cirque de Soleil would be later.  We took some pictures and walked around the Beatle's Shop.  We walked around inside the Mirage looking for a restaurant for supper and then headed to Treasure Island.  We took the free tram there.  We looked around Treasure Island for a restaurant too and then we went out front to see all the Pirate stuff out there.  When I tried to take a picture, my battery was dead.  So I got out my spare and unfortunately it didn't have much life left in it.  I only got two more pictures.  We decided to eat at Senor Frog's which was right on the water in front of Treasure Island.  Larry had a beer and I had a margarita.  We had chips and salsa and I got a chimichanga and Larry got enchiladas.  The food was great and the spot was in the shade with a breeze so very comfortable.  After supper we went across the street to walk by the canals and gondolas at the Venetian.  We went to Walgreens to look for batteries but they didn't have any.  Then we went back across the street and walked in front of the Mirage wishing we had time to see the volcano erupt but the show started at 7:00.

When we went back into the Mirage they were scanning tickets but the doors weren't open yet.  It wasn't long until the doors opened and we went to our seats.  We were in Row F right in the middle of everything.  Before the show there were two guys going around the audience getting us "warmed up" I suppose.  One was carrying a teapot out of which smoke came and he was pouring tea (smoke) into imaginary tea cups and on people's heads.  The show itself was so incredible it is indescribable.  The sound track was all redone music from the Beatles with some out takes, and discarded takes etc.  The show started during WWII and moved right up through the late 60s and further.  The costumes were period and kept changing with the music.  There were lots of acrobats on ladders and ropes high up in the theater.  The stage was in the center with several runways leading out like spokes in a wheel.  The shape of the stage kept changing with the different scenes.  One of my favorites was Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds where the whole theater was dark except for hanging strings of lights that blinked randomly sometimes and from top to bottom at other times.  Lucy was a woman dressed in a white glittery costume and she was swinging all over the "sky."  Another favorite was the Octopuses Garden that had women costumed like octopi floating up and down like jellyfish in the water.  I liked the rollerblading boys who had two u-shaped standing tracks that they kept doing tricks like at a rollerblading park.  There were times that there were so many people flying around I wondered how they didn't bump into each other.  There was so much going on at times that you couldn't possible see everything.  We both thoroughly enjoyed.  When it was over we headed to the airport and just as we were pulling in to Terminal 3 Erin sent a text that she was at the gate.  It wasn't long until she came to where we were in Short Term Parking.  We went back to the hotel and headed straight downstairs after dropping off Erin's luggage.  Erin and Larry had beers at the bar with our coupon worth $20.  Erin played Video Poker, Jacks or Better.  After a while I went back to the room and started this blog.  They came up after 11:00 and we went to bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


pbosf@tds.net on

Memories of Las Vegas live on! Thank you for sharing this part of your trip. Peg

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: