Off to the Emerald Isle

Trip Start Aug 03, 2010
Trip End Aug 31, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Continental Flight 24 to Shannon, Ireland

Flag of United States  , Ohio
Saturday, July 16, 2011

It was unusual to get to sleep in on a day when I am flying. But we didn't need to leave for the airport until 11:00.  We watched  "The Tour de France" until it was time to leave.  I packed a lunch to eat at the airport.  Larry drove me and when we got to Africa Road there was a traffic jam so Larry turned around and we went down Cleveland Avenue to 270.  Larry dropped me off at the Continental door.  Things went very smoothly and before I knew I was sitting at Gate A6 eating my lunch.  I read “The Lacuna” while I waited for the flight to be called.  The incoming flight was late so we left about 15 minutes late.  It was a small plane so I had to gate check my carry-on. 

I sat next to a young Hispanic woman who was flying for the first time.  I should have offered to let her sit by the window but did not think of it until we were air born.  I read my book and rested my eyes for a little while.  When we got closer to Newark, I asked the young woman what her next gate was.  She was going to Richmond.  Her gate was in a different terminal so I showed her the airport map in the back of the magazine.  She figured out that she needed to take the shuttle.  We were due in about 3:40 and her next flight was supposed to leave at 4:00.  On the approach to Newark we could see the skyline of New York City and we also saw the Statue of Liberty.  Luckily we got in at 3:15 but had to wait to go to the gate.  We had to wait for our checked luggage and then I helped her find the shuttle which was right across from our gate.  I hope she made it in time.

I walked from Gate 70 to Gate 75 and sat down.  I had a voicemail from Erin that she had landed but missed it.  So I called her back and she was still on the plane at Gate 85.  Before long she had joined me and now vacation could truly begin.  I called Larry and left a message that we had both made it to Newark.

We decided to walk around a bit and found a Ruby’s Diner.  We walked to the end of one of the arms of the concourse and looked at the skyline of New York.  Erin updated me on how things went at work.  She had an upsetting encounter right before she left yesterday and she had been very angry.  We talked it out and she felt better.    

We went to Ruby’s Diner for supper.  Erin just had an Oreo milkshake but I had an English muffin sandwich and a strawberry shake, delicious!  While we were sitting there Erin set up a spreadsheet for our expenses, especially for food.  She can just input the info while we are eating.  Slick.  After we ate we went to Gate 96 because the gate had been changed.  Erin plugged in and I wrote this blog for our first day.

We left Newark on time.  Once we were settled in and checked out all the movies and games available in the seat back media center, we decided to skip the meal and try to sleep.  We may have gotten a little sleep but not much, even though it was dark and relatively quiet with our earplugs in.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


cheryl on

Did you like Lucna? I was disappointed. I have loved all her other books.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: