Another Great Day

Trip Start Aug 03, 2010
Trip End Aug 31, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Germany  , Baden-Württemberg,
Monday, August 16, 2010

August 16, 2010 Monday: Heidelberg

Erin knocked on our door at 8:00 and we were still both in bed.  She had been up since 4:00.   I had to shut the windows last night in order to get to sleep.   It got a little stuffy in the room but we managed to sleep pretty well.  We got up and were downstairs for breakfast by about 9:00.  They had a lot of choices including all kinds of bread with cheese and meats.  We both had muesli and juice.  I had yogurt and Larry had a roll with jam. 

While we were at breakfast Erin had paid to have an internet connection but it wouldn't connect to most sites in the US.  So she cancelled it.  We will try the Internet Café just ˝  block from us in the evening.  We decided to see the Schloss (castle) first today.  We walked just a couple of blocks to the funicular and got a combined ticket for riding up to the castle and also for entry into the castle.  It is a huge castle, some of it restored and some in ruins.  We got audioguides with information about the castle. One highlight was the large courtyard area with many facades covered in statues. We saw the largest wine barrel in the world in the undermost part of the castle.  There was a walkway up to the top and down the other side.  One of the towers, the powder tower, had exploded and you could see the inside arches and the thickness of the walls.  The front terrace had great views of Heidelberg and the Neckar River.  But the best view was from the garden to the east.  It was a great panorama of the roofs of the city, the river, the hills along the river and the great plain that is to the west of the city.  When we were finished we decided we did not have time to go to the top if we wanted to go on a boat tour, so we went back down the funicular railway and went to get gelato for lunch.  We ate our gelato while we walked to the boat dock.  When we got there we found out that there are no round trip boats on Monday.

So we went back to the Marktplatz and had a drink and sat for awhile.  They had beer and I had a glass of Riesling wine. Derek had an apple pastry from a nearby bakery.   It started to rain so we moved under the awning.  We visited the shops on the platz and went to the grocery store just to look around.  We dropped off our purchases of magnets and dried apple chips at the hotel.  Next we headed to the Jesuitenkirche (Jesuit Church) the local Catholic church.  It was done in the typical red sandstone of a lot of the older buildings but the inside was very white with a lot of gold fittings.  It was starkly beautiful.  I took several pictures in the church.  Next we walked a couple of blocks to the Universitatsplatz and Heidelberg University.  We saw the original building which now houses and museum and the library.  We also visited the Unitarian Church for the University call St. Peter’s.  It was small but still beautiful.  While we were there a girl was taking an organ lesson and the music filled the church.  On our way back to the room we stopped at the Back Factory (back = backerei = bakery).  Larry and I shared an apple pastry and an almond and vanilla cream pastry.  Erin had an apple pastry.  Then Larry and I made a quick stop at the room while Derek and Erin shopped some more.  When we returned to the street, Erin had purchased some wild garlic spread we had sampled when we bought the apple chips and Derek had gotten a T-shirt.  They didn’t have an extra large so they ironed on the design while he waited. 

Next we headed for the Philosopher’s Walk on the other side of the river.  When we got to the bridge, it was windy, cold and raining, so I decided to come back to the room to write the blog.  Now I am waiting for them to return.

I read my book until they returned at 7:00.  We went down to the Internet Café and updated our blogs and checked email.  It was great to hear from so many of you.  I wish I had had time to reply but we were getting hungry.

For supper we went to a microbrewery called Vetter Alt-Heidelberger Brauhaus.  Larry and Derek had Vetter  beer but Erin and I had sprite.  Derek got a pork steak with mushroom sauce and spatzle (a German noodle).  Larry had a big bratwurst with fried potatoes and sauerkraut.  Erin and I split a pork snitzle with fried potatoes and a side salad.  We were all plenty full when we were done.  By then it was 9:45 so we took a short walk to the bridge for night pictures of the castle.  Then we were all ready for bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Peggy on

Sounds like a full day in spite of the weather. I love how Europe restores much instead of tearing down to build new. Happy Journey, Peggy

cheryl on

What a nice that your family has joined you. We just got home from Susie's in TX and are glad to be back into some cooler temps, though we miss them so very much. This is their last year in TX and we're hoping they get to come to Dayton for Doug's next assignment. Keep enjoying your time abroad.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: