Narberth and Llandeilo (thlen-DYE-low)

Trip Start Aug 03, 2010
Trip End Aug 31, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United Kingdom  , Wales,
Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Today I slept in a little. After breakfast and a shower we left for Narberth, a small town with lots of shops and antiques.  It rained all night and was still raining when we left and was supposed to last all day.   As we drove west,  the clouds thinned and by the time we got there the sun was shining.  Narberth was very quaint.  We visited several shops and I bought a round tray with English birds on it to use to carry meals into the sun room.  Biddy got a tin for her daughter with a brand of food spread called Marmite painted on it.  Marmite is a form of yeast extract and a bi-product of beer making which is very popular in the UK.    We stopped for tea (me)and coffee (Biddy) in a little café about noon.

The antique shop was fascinating.  There were many things I would have gotten if I was at home, like a set of nesting tables and a big crock.  The last shop we stopped in was called Number 45.  Biddy and I each bought the same woolen hat.  It is very warm and looked good on both of us.  So we will remember each other when we wear it.  By the time we left Narberth it was warm enough to do without our jackets.

We drove to Llandeilo to the Cawdor Hotel and had "High Tea" about 3:00. This consisted of a Welsh beef and horseradish sandwich (our choice since we shared the meal), a scone with cream and black current jam, a piece of carrot cake (our choice), a Welsh tea cake, a shortbread (cookie), two small biscuits (cookies) and a pot of tea.  We sat in the sitting room on leather sofas with a coffee table.  The waiter, all decked out in white shirt, vest, and tie, brought our tea first and then brought us the meal.  The sweets were brought on a tiered plate.  It was really nice but we couldn't eat it all.  We wrapped some of it to bring home.

We got back to Llanelli about 4:45 and got ready to go out to eat with Bill and Judith, Jane and Jake, Holly, Rosie and her fiancé Aled, and Biddy’s boyfriend, Cliff.  Holly, Rosie and Aled were the first to arrive.  Aled is a Welsh speaker and does computer graphic design.  He and Rosie are getting married next year on September 3rd.  Rosie works as a psychologist for the police in Cardiff.  Holly is a geneticist in Cardiff.  Biddy broke open a bottle of champaign she had bought on her biking holiday in France.  Next, Jane and Jake arrived from Toft near Cambridge.  Jake is sporting a beard but is as witty as ever.  Jane is moving slowly these days as her knees are bad.  They joined us in a glass of champaign.  Cliff arrived next.  He is a very dashing older man and it is obvious that they make each other very happy.  Biddy had made reservations at the Monk Country Club so we all drove there to meet Bill and Judith.  Everyone ordered a drink and a couple of starters (appetizers) while we waited for our table.  The view from the country club was fantastic.  We were surrounded by the golf course, ponds, cliffs and the sea and it was a beautiful evening.  Everyone had a wonderful time.  We polished off several bottles of wine.  Holly, Rosie and Aled went back to Cardiff when we left the country club.  But the rest of us went back to Biddy’s for coffee and tea.  It was late so Bill and Judith and Cliff left fairly soon.  I tried to skype Larry to wish him a happy birthday but he was not online.  Everyone was disappointed that they didn’t get to see him.

Tomorrow I am off to Toft with Jane and Jake.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


cheryl on

Sounds as though you are having a great time!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: