Phi Phi & Maya Bay

Trip Start Nov 30, 2012
Trip End Jan 14, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  , Krabi,
Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 1

We were packed & ready to go reasonably early. Paul helped me take our bags to Martyn's hotel where we were due to be picked up from. We'd had a quality time with everyone & I was gutted to be saying goodbye.

Our pick up came on time & before we knew it we were at the harbour on the boat. It was the fast boat & was meant to take just under 2 hours to get to Phi Phi. The weather still wasn't great as we set off & it only got worse as we headed out to sea.

Lisa doesn't travel well by sea but to be fair neither did half of the people on board. The waves were huge & the boat was crashing down after every wave. By crashing I mean the boat was shaking after a huge thud in every wave. Someone was going round handing out sick bags & it wasn't long before all you could hear was people retching & being sick. Lisa wasn't sick but she wanted quiet time until we got off the boat as we went through 2 hours of pretty gut wrenching stuff.

Everyones luggage was at the front of the boat to counterbalance the weight. We were sat on the seats right next to it so you can imagine our reaction when the front door opened & water started rushing through. Lisa broke just about every bone in my hand. She still didn't speak though. As we came into the pier on Phi Phi the waves calmed & Lisa began to get her colour back. It was without a doubt the worst boat trip either of us have ever been on.

We were met at the pier by someone from our hotel. He was kind enough to carry our luggage to his cart. I say cart because the only people that are allowed motorised transport on the island are the police.

We got up to our hotel & it looked really nice. There was an amazing view & the bungalows looked top notch. It's a shame we weren't staying in one! Good old me booked this hotel again & we ended up in a room that faced the bungalows. I say room because it was part of a building, not a bungalow. So, basically we could watch people enjoying the view but we couldn't enjoy it ourselves. Well done me.

When we were checking in the manager seemed to have a bit of an attitude but we didn't think too much of it. As we were sorting through our bags we noticed there were ants going from the back window along the wall to the front door. As we only had just over a day on the island we didn't want to make a fuss so we put all of our luggage onto the super king sized bed we had.

Our hotel was overlooking the main beach. It meant that we had a really good view of the island but a long way to walk to get into town. The first thing we had to do was book our trip for the following day to Maya Bay. We done the early half day trip which suited us perfectly as it gave us a bit more time on the island.

By the time we had booked the trip & had a look round it was close to 20:00. We grabbed something to eat at a little restaurant called Papaya. Both of us were pretty tired after going out for new year so we went to the sports bar for a drink then called it a night.

Day 2

Our alarm went off for 07:00 so that we could get some breakfast before the boat trip. Food was included but neither of us really trusted the food on these trips since we got sick in Vietnam.

We started to get our bags sorted when Lisa opened up her washing bag to find ants everywhere! If they had stuck to their side of the room we wouldn't of had a problem but they just had to come over to our side! Not wanting to have our luggage carried off whilst we were out I went to see the manager & asked if we could move. At first he was really polite compared to how he was when we checked in. He got on his radio & called for the cleaners to go to our room. We then went up there together to have a look.

The cleaners were there with their ant buster killing everything in sight. We thought it would just be a formality about changing rooms as we waited for him to tell us to move our luggage. That's what you would expect. What we had was this jumped up little sh*t shout at me like I was a school kid, 'Mr! Where are the ants?!'. Not wanting to cause any trouble I bit my lip & showed him the bag that had the clothes inside. By now we were running late for our trip so I told him to forget it. We grabbed our bag & headed off to meet our boat.

We turned up at the travel shop where we booked our trip just on time but without having any breakfast. We were taken to a small beach next to the pier where we waited for about 20 minutes before getting on a long boat to take us to Maya Bay. The sun was shining & there didn't seem to be any wind, unlike the day before. We set off & as soon as we got out of the bay the wind we couldn't feel before hit the boat like a steam train as we headed towards Maya Bay.

The boat battled through the waves until we went into a small cove. We carried on going in & out of coves until we finally made it round to the entrance to the beach. The water was a lot calmer inside as we stopped to do some snorkelling. At exactly the same time though, it began to rain. We couldn't believe it! Lisa's face wasn't a pretty picture. To say she would have preferred to stay in bed at this point, even with the ants, would be an understatement. I done my best to put a good spin on it until eventually the sun saved me & blue sky appeared.

The boat pulled up just short of the beach so we jumped out & walked the last few metres to the sand. We had to pay 100baht (€2.50) each to get to shore as it's considered a National Park by the Thai authorities.

When the Tsunami hit back in 2004 it entirely changed the image of the island to how you see it in the movie The Beach. The brush has been brought right forward so that it sat a lot closer to the water than what you can see in the movie. The opinion of the locals is that the tsunami restored the beach to it's natural state after Hollywood botched it up for the movie.

After an hour of exploring the island & a bit of sunbathing we were back on the long boat & heading for our last stop, Monkey Beach. Basically, it's a little beach that is only accessible by boat &, not surprisingly, has a lot of monkeys. When we got there the tide was in so the boat got as close as possible before we jumped out & walked over to where the monkeys were hanging from the trees.

The boat was back on the beach we set off from by 14:30. That gave us enough time to go to the beach for a bit before getting up the view point for the sunset. The weather kept changing it's mind about whether or not to rain properly until eventually we decided to make our up to the top of Phi Phi.

The view point is a good 20 minute walk & a lot of people struggle to get up there without stopping. Lisa was breathing out of her pooper just as we got near the top. She mumbled something & I thought it was to have a rest. What she was actually trying to say was let's run the last bit! That's exactly what we did & by the time we reached the top we were drenched in sweat.

We got up there quite early so managed to get a spot on the first rock over looking Phi Phi. You can see from the photos what an amazing view it is.

After the sun had dropped behind the island we made our way down the hill & back to our room to get ready for the night. Dodging the ants that had multiplied since the morning, we worked round them & made our way back into town.

Lisa had seen a restaurant that she liked the look of close to the pier. She looked it up on Tripadvisor & discovered it was in the top 3 on the island. To be fair, the food was top quality. We've slowly discovered on this trip that I am absolute rubbish at finding good hotels & decent places to stay.

There were 2 bars we wanted to go to. The first was a bar called Rolling Stoned. They have a live band there called Made in Thailand. They are absolutely fantastic. We stayed there for about an hour before making our way to Reggae bar. I don't know where it got it's name from because it doesn't play any reggae. What it does do though is offer tourists the chance to get into a kickboxing ring to fight each other for a bucket of alcohol. The first fight there was a knockout which was quite entertaining. The rest of them just slugged it out & left it to the ref to sort out the winner.

We stayed there until just after midnight before deciding to make our way back to our hotel. We're off to Koh Samui in the morning to meet up with Steve & Linda.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: