The streets of Philadelphia

Trip Start Nov 01, 2012
Trip End Nov 28, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Pennsylvania
Saturday, November 24, 2012

Let me start off by saying that the midday temperature here today was 3 degrees. And with the windchill factor it must've been close to -10 degrees. I popped into the visitors centre this morning to get a cup of coffee and directions on how to get to the Liberty Bell (just over the road - fantastic) and to the Rocky steps? About 45 minute walk. I did say I wanted to walk the streets of Philadelphia, but not in near freezing temperatures. So doffness decides to get the city sight-seeing bus instead. But before doing this, I quickly popped over the road to see the Liberty Bell. I didn't make it to Independence hall unfortunately because the tour bus was scheduled to leave at 9:30am. Once at the bus departure point, I sat on top coz that's where you get the best photo opportunities, but you can take off another 5 degrees being 14 feet above the ground. Oh Lordy! I was miserable. But I couldn't cry coz my tear ducts had frozen shut and I had little snotsicles that had formed in my nose. I had rushed off to Ross before catching the bus to buy some gloves and earmuffs. Obviously after Black Friday there wasn't much stock left and all I could get were some wooly fingerless gloves with a removable finger sock / pocket. No earmuffs.

So off we go... And all I wanted to do was get downstairs. I couldn't care less at this point about the sights and sounds of Philly. The Modern Art Museum was stop number 11. And I only managed to take about 3 photos on the way there. So first I went and hung on Rocky's leg and got someone to take a pic of that and then I sat for a bit wondering how clever it would be to give someone my phone, run all the way up the steps, strike the pose and then what? Run back down or get the person to run up or run away... So I ran briskly up the steps and once up there I asked someone to take the shot, 3 steps down. That way I stood half a chance of catching them if they bolted. In fact the secret to getting someone to take your pic is to ask a tourist to do it. You can spot them very easily since they generally are all taking pics or they are just really friendly, unlike the majority of Americans this side of Mississippi.

I then needed to use the rest room so went inside the beautifully warm Museum of Modern Art. Unlike Washington DC, here you have to pay admission fee. So I spoke nicely to the lady at the front desk in my broadest Souff Efrikan accent, which she loved, and she allowed me in to use the restroom. I made sure I left the same way I came in just so the lady didn't send a Ben Stiller like character after me, thanked her most kindly, and stepped out into the freezing cold yet again. I waited at the bottom of the stairs for about half an hour before the bus eventually arrived. I climbed on and went and stowed myself in the left hand back corner of the bus. Naturally the majority of all the tourist attractions that followed were "on your right..." So I missed the majority of what was being pointed out from stop 12 to 25. I'll just google it.

Once back, I decided to shoot into Liberty Bell food market to grab an infamous Philly cheese steak. I'm not sure what its supposed to be but what I got was mince on a roll - I tasted no cheese. It was a bit of an anti-climax. Speaking of which, there was a shop inside that sold earmuffs and beanies so I was really thrilled. Like I said in my earlier Facebook status update - I was so over looking at least halfway presentable and instead I now had to focus on survival. So it was scarf, gloves, beanie and snap-on earmuffs and I was good to go. I dashed back to the hotel, grabbed my bags and shot through to the Greyhound station.

And here I am - en route to New York on my last Greyhound bus ride of my month long Trans American journey. It's just 2 hours from Philly to New York so should be a pleasant drive. I have managed to book into a hotel called Manhattan in Time Square and all indications are that it's also a stone's throw from the Greyhound Station. But that's never a guarantee so I'll have to confirm that once we arrive in NY city. I'll have an early night tonight in preparation for a very long 2 nights and 2 days of lots of walking and experiencing the magic that is New York City.

So till tomorrow...

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: