Killing fields

Trip Start Apr 03, 2013
Trip End Apr 29, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Cambodia  ,
Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Again enjoyed breakfast on the rooftop watching the world go by. were picked up by tuk tuk about 7:30am and driven to another hotel complex where we picked up an Aussie girl also doing the same quad biking/Killing Fields tour with Blazing Trails. The ride in the tuk tuk took about 45 mins, to an area some way out of Phnom Penh, lots of traffic and rough, bumpy roads.

We arrived at the company's office, had a safety briefing and fitting of helmets, then off we went. The manager rode at the front on a motorbike, we went next and another guy from the company followed us on bikes. The quads were easy to drive, just thumb lever to control.

We rode off through some local streets and villages, we were able to stop whenever we wanted. Of course because this company uses the same route all the time, the local kids know the sound of the quad bikes and come running out a soon as they hear them in the hope they will get some candy. Laura handed out a couple of her lollies to each kid at the start, but soon realised she would quickly run out so changed to just one piece each. The kids were adorable, grubby and often barefoot but so cute and friendly some said hello and even thank you in English. Some were a bit sneaky though and tried to get lollies from all of us.

Hardly any traffic on our ride, except for one small section where we went on a busy road but we just stuck to the side and kept riding, very safe. Mike got some great GoPro movies, very funny to watch later on, especially when he runs out of lollypops and yells at me "I need lollies!" at the top of his voice.

When we got back to the office, we were driven in the tuk tuk to the Cheung Ek Killing Fields, and were given headphones to listen to the audio tour as we walked around. So sad and senseless was my impression here, the tree where the babies and young children had been beaten and killed just brought me to tears. I didn't take any photos while here, it just seemed disrespectful, but of course plenty of tourists were snapping away especially all the skulls inside the memorial. We took our time and walked around every stop, listening to the audio tour and learning about the atrocities that had taken place. I must admit never having paid much attention to history before, sometimes being there makes such a difference, I can't get enough information now.

Got the tuk tuk back to our hotels, said goodbye to Laura, then went out and walked back to the markets for more shopping, bought a couple of dresses, polo shirts for Tom, shorts for Mike. Stopped at the Soraya shopping mall for icecream. Dinner again at the same restaurant (well when you're on a good thing, stick to it). Had bad stomach cramps and diarrhoea at night, think it was the icecream. To make it worse, the toilet blocked up as well. Luckily we leave in the morning. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: