Wannabe jet-setters: trendy, fun, and expensive

Trip Start Jun 13, 2008
Trip End Aug 20, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Greece  , Cyclades,
Saturday, June 28, 2008

We began our sail from Syros to Mykonos with very high winds, a very nervous skipper and an over-sailed crew.  We stopped about 30 minutes out for a quick swim, and quickly broke the winch that pulls up our anchor.  Our skipper was freaking out...we were stuck in some random cove with no one around and he had no knowledge of the boat.  "Zis is very bad, very bad..." he would say.  Eventually he called our former skipper who alerted him to the fuse box, and we were on our way again.  The sailing today was very rough, with wind up to 30 knots.  It was awesome, and everyone on deck was drenched by the end of the day.  Again, our skipper didn't know the ropes very well....so it was hectic and slightly nerve wracking. He admitted that he was actually worried about how to dock the boat in Mykonos, which is apparently very tricky.  For some reason he chose Andy to confide in, and took him aside to explain how he wanted to dock the boat....Andy kind of nodded his head and it was clear he didn't have any idea what Ludwig was talking about.
We basically parallel parked a 50-foot boat in a 55-foot spot in high winds (this is not an exaggeration).  It was not flawless though.  We managed to bump the boat in front of us and our anchor chain was scraping against that boat, dangerously close to their rudder.  We were amazed at how calm the boat owner was during the whole process...until we realized he wasn't the owner.  About halfway through this process, the real owner comes back and absolutely freaks out....loses his mind, calling our skipper crazy and saying we are going to sink his boat.  We eventually squeeze into the spot. (sidenote: I'm shocked at how friendly and helpful people in the boating community are to each other.  I guess you have to be, when you are dealing with water, wind, knots, etc...). The crazy guy decided to leave the marina, and everyone was now more relaxed and ready for a night out in Mykonos.
We bribed a van to take the 9 of us 2km to town and had drinks and dinner on the water.  Although Lauren was falling asleep at the table, I managed to convince her to stay out for one drink...which quickly turned into 3 hours.  We hung out at some bar/club in little Venice and had an impressive college-type dance party going with both boats, although Mojitos were a little more expensive than in college (12 Euro = about $20)....umm, draft beer please. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: