Yeah, Monks Play Soccer

Trip Start May 28, 2010
Trip End Aug 02, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Nepal  ,
Sunday, July 18, 2010

So the past few days have been pretty fun. And extraordinarily random. I went to the orphanage for the first time, which was great. The kids were adorable and very outgoing. I played with one of them for a while...she taught me the words for eye, nose, cheek, necklace, ring, etc. Her method of teaching was a little scary...she would sit on my lab, jab me in the face with her finger and yell "What is this?!" But I did learn. Perhaps she is fated to be a teacher.

The kids giggled when I told them my name. I hope it is just hard to say and doesn't sound like something bad. They did tell me I had big eyes, and there was a round of "Big eyes! Big eyes!" as they all looked at them and agreed. Matt and I helped make peeling a pile of strange leafy vegetables that looked suspiciously like lily pads. We had some of the concoction after it was all mixed together...and it was decent. After lunch, we washed the dishes and did a giant pile of laundry. The water is all pumped out by hand, and the dishes and laundry are done by the pump, on a cement square ringed by a low wall.

The following day, I went to Thamel and hung out in a coffee shop for the morning working on my job applications. They are starting to stress me out. I am hoping that when I get to Iowa City I can apply in person and that will work a little better. Hayley met me in the coffee shop, we got lunch, and then we went to the hospital for a while. We had hoped to see surgeries, but there were none scheduled, so we spent the day in the ICU. It had three adorable old woman with COPD, and two suicide attempts. They were unrelated cases, but had both gotten in fights with their husbands and attempted to kill themselves by ingesting rat poison. Oof. The younger of the two was awake and looking pretty good, but was a little loopy from all of the medications. They were giving them atropine, if that means anything to the doctors reading my blog. =) The older one wasn't doing so hot. She had a breath rate between 40 and 50, so she was eventually sedated and put on a respirator, because she was breathing so fast that her muscles were fatiguing and she was inhaling gastric fluid. I think they were also having some issues with her IV lines. Both wrists were exhausted, so they put a central venous line in her jugular vein, which was cool to watch.

After dinner at home, we went to the Bhat Bhateni store down the road and bought some brownie mix and cookies....and then settled down on the floor of our living room with the bowl of batter and dipped our cookies in it. Delightful. The Nepali girls thought we were a little strange at first...but they joined in and tried it. It was a good evening. Lots of singing and talking.

My friend Mathew works in a monastery teaching monks English. He was invited to go to a soccer match, and brought me along. It was super fun. It was held on the soccer field at the police academy. The stands were filled with Buddhist monks in their maroon and gold robes, cheering quite loudly for their friends on the field. The players shed their robes for soccer jerseys and shorts and played some decent games. The first two games were between different monasteries. Apparently they have some rivalry? Matt and I were does competition fit into Buddhist teachings? WWDLD? (What would the Dalai Lama do?) =)

We went out for dinner last night...a funky little Mexican/Tibetan restaurant. Yeah. Interesting food. My friend Nate ordered an enchilada, and I had some really good momo soup. Culture clash? Perhaps. Good food? Yes. We went to a music store to look at movies and cds...and I made my best Thamel find yet. A Dave Matthews Band, Live at Luther College CD. Luther College made it to Nepal guys. NEPAL.

Then we went to a few different bars and had some drinks while listening to some great cover bands. It's so entertaining to watch a Nepali boy sing Sex on Fire....and do a good job at it too! Their voices didn't match their appearances at all, but the music was excellent anyway.

I hope to go to the hospital today and see some surgeries. Other than that I'm taking it easy. One more week in Nepal. It's gone by so fast!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Letitia Harmon Jeffrey on

I love it! Especially WWDLD? I frequently wonder how faith and practical life work for the monks here in Nepal.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: