Fraser Island

Trip Start Nov 15, 2009
Trip End May 02, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It took a couple of hours to drive from Rainbow Beach to Hervey Bay, we had a pizza from Dominos for lunch it was yummy!!!

We only had it because it was cheap Tuesdays and it only cost $5-bargain! We are staying in a hostel with the company who we are going to Fraser Island with, it is nice to be in an air conditioned room instead of the van for a night! We had to attend a safety meeting at 6pm, they basically just try and scare you into being sensible while on the island. We met our group who we will be spending the next 3 days with, there are 2 Irish couples, a Scottish couple, a English girl and us, they all seem cool so should be a good laugh.

We had to be up early as we had to meet the group at 7.30am at the 4x4 to talk over the equipment and how to use the car. We got into the 4x4 and went to Woolworths to get food for the next 3 days. We had to be on the barge for like 9.30am which takes us over to Fraser Island. When we got onto Fraser Island we headed towards Eurong, which is a little resort on the island we had a pie at the bakery for lunch. We then had our first experience of driving on the beach, it is very bumpy when sitting in the back.

The first place we went to was Lake Wabby, its pretty cool, theres a massive sand dune that dips into the lake. The weather is pretty dull so we couldn't enjoy the lake to its full potential, walking back to the beach we got attacked by mostquitoes. We were suppose to camp on the beach but weather got worse as the afternoon went on, the wind was pretty stronge and the clouds looked quite black, so we went to one of the campground as its abit more sheltered. We had a BBQ, which was yum. It rained all night and I didn't bring a coat or jumper onto the island with me, the moral of the stroy is don't ever listen to boys when it comes to clothing!! Everyone got pretty drunk so it was still really fun!

The next day we were suppose to be up and on the beach by 7am, but due to the drunk antics last night we weren't ready until half 7, however it didn't matter because a ranger came up to us and told us the beach was in a bad condition due to all the rain so he advised us not to go up there until after high tide at 11am because we would just get stuck in the sane. We took his advice and went to Lake Allom, there were turtles there so that was quite cool. The weather is still not very good, everyone is quite low because of it and the fact that we were all bitten by mosquitoes. We headed up to Indian Heads, I had a go at driving, it was hard bloody work, good fun though. I was petrified of being too close to the sea (as you get $1000 fine if there is salt water on the car) but on the soft sand I was scared of getting stuck! After about an hour I had enough and swapped! At Indian heads we walked to the top of the cliff, it was a cool view over the beach, in clear weather you can apparently sea sharks in the waves. On the way back from Indian Heads we stopped at Eli Creek and the Marenho Shipwreck. We decided to camp in another campground. We have seen the biggest spiders while on Fraser Island, one got into one of the Irish tents, it was the funniest thing watching two grown men trying to get it out! Wish we had filmed it!

On our last morning on Fraser, the weather was a bit better YAY!!! We went to Lake Mckenzie, our favourite part of the island. Its a fresh water lake, so blue and lovely white sand. We had a nice morning swimming and chilling. Alot of the group got sunburnt even though it was abit cloudy. Alex was quite pink as he was in the water for about 2 hours with no sunscreen on-naughty! Lake Mckenzie was our last stop on the island. We had a really good group which made up for the rubbish weather, I think if the weather had been beautiful we would of enjoyed it more and the scenery would of been more specatular. I think both me and Alex were expecting more from the trip purely because it is so hyped up in Australia, but we still had a good time. When we got back on to the mainland we decided to have a massive dinner, we had chicken burgers and chips from the chip shop was stunning!!! We were stuff!!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: