Travelled down south

Trip Start Nov 15, 2009
Trip End May 02, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Western Australia,
Thursday, December 3, 2009

After spending two days in Exmouth we headed down south, it took 2 days to travel down. We headed from Exmouth to Geraldton approximately 800km on the first day and then headed from Geraldton to Bunbury south of Perth on the Second. We saw our first bush fires on the second day and were quite glad we left Geraldton as early as we did because they were very close to the
road and it is quite possible they would of shut the highway. We didn't have much time in Bunbury, before we left we went shopping as Alex needed a couple more t-shirts because his white ones are looking rather yellow from the suncream. NICE!

We were headed towards Margaret River to stay for a couple of nights (4-5th). On the way down we stopped at Bussleton a very nice little town, which has the longest wooden jetty in the southern hemisphere. Unfortunately we couldn't walk to the end of the jetty as it is being renivated. Had a little look around the town centre and Alex treated himself to a new pair of boardies! He did well with the shopping on this day. After Bussleton we headed towards Yallingup to go to some caves called Ngilgi Caves. It was pretty amazing, the deepest part of the cave was 37m below the surface, it wasn't too strenuous as there was boardways everywhere-we did look into doing an adventure tour here off the normal cave walkways but unfortunately none were running. We arrived in Margaret River, hostel was very nice and just had a relaxing evening.

On the second day in Margaret River we went on a wine tour with Bushtucker Winery Tours-we had such an AMAZING day. Our tour guide Silvano was excellent and made the day really fun. The group of people of the tour were really nice a mix of Australians and Brits mostly. The wineries were really pretty and we had fun learning a little bit about how the wines were made. The most fun came from the tasting obviously!! We went to 4 wineries in all, my favourite wine came from the first. Had a lovely lunch on the tour apart from the end when Silvano brought out a widgety grub-there was no way I was going to eat that, alex was contemplating it. A girl who we have met in several hostels along way was one volunteer to eat (apparently it tasted like peanuts, certainly didn't look like one!). By mis afternoon needless to say I was quite drunk!!! Also visited a chocolate factory (yum), a cheese factory and brewery. In the evening we met with the people on the tour down at one of the
pubs in Margaret River.

We left Margaret River and headed further south towards Pemberton to explore the southern forests. We went to the Karri Forest, firstly to see the Gloucester Tree. We had heard that you could climb to the top on some sort of ladder. When we arrived the ladder was essentially rods in the side on the tree and you climbed up 61m. This would never ever happen in the UK-no health and safety whatsoever!!! We are starting to think that Oz is crazy. Neither of us gave this a go. Later we went to another tree even higher at 71m called the Bicential Tree-this tree had a viewing platform half way up so we gave it a go. About 2/3 of the way up my legs went to jelly and I pooped my pants-it wasn't the height it was the fact that I felt so unsafe, no safety ropes, one slip of the foot and there would of been a long way to fall!! Alex wouldn't let me fail and told me to get my arse up the tree! After the crazy trees we went to the Beedleup falls and Big Brook Dam,which was very pretty. The hostel in Pemberton is really nice as we are in a self-contained cottage with only 8 other people.

We left Pemberton on the 7th Dec, and headed towards Albany our most southern town. On the way we went to the Valley of the Giants tree top walk-platforms in the forest about 40m up from the forest floor, you get a birds eye view of the forest. It was very pretty, the platforms moved in the wind though which was a bit scary! A lady that worked here was very nice as she let us in
on concesison rate as we didn't have enough money to pay for adult fares (scabs). We then went to the Green Pools which would of been gorgeous on a hot sunny day buts it cloudy and chilly so we didnt fancy taking a dip in the calm sea. After arriving in Albany I have discovered that I have left my travel towel in Pemberton so frustrating and cannot find the head torch so that has also gone missing. Living out of a bag is a frigging nightmare, so I spent some time sorting out my bags and making sure I know where my stuff is. New resolution: Be more careful with stuff and make sure I pack correctly!!!

The second day in Albany has been spent chiling out really. We went to the Princess Royal Fortress museum, Alex turned into a geek getting rather excited about the military guns (which were authentic and in orginal place from the second world war). Then we went to the top of Mount Clarence, which had 360 degree views of the Albany region. Had a strolled round the town
centre in the afternoon, I got to treat myself today to a new bikini! In the evening we have just been chilling out, watching tv and movies (they have videos in the lounge to watch, on the first night we watched Master and Commander, you have no idea how nice it is to chill out on a sofa and watch TV when you hvaen't done it in weeks).

Finally we headed back to Perth on the 9th as we fly to Adelaide on the 10th. Got up very early and was on the road by 7am to get back to Perth in a decent time. We got back to Perth by lunchtime so headed to the WACA stadium (cricket ground if you don't know), as Alex wanted to see it. We did a tour round there getting to go in the players areas including chaning rooms and got to walk onto the pitch which they are preparing for a test match against the West Indies next week. After that we went back into the city to organise a trip up to Alice Springs. After much hassle mostly due to a very tempremental debit card we finally got it booked. Leave next week from Adelaide. Had a chilled out evening going to a cafe for coffee before hitting the hay early as the flight to Adelaide is at half 8 so need to leave the hostel by 6ish.

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Grandpa on

Hi you Cobbers,
Great pics - again. Glad everything is going so well. We greatly enjoy your blogs and thanks for the phone call. Take care. Grandpa.

clifty on

alex where is the tan..........come on you have been out there long enough now, and is that a jumper i see you wearing laura????! your sister gave me the link to this! Looks amazing guys, im jealous!

Glyn on

Hi mate managed to track down your blog LOL, looks amazing and its so nice to see that you are both realy enjoying it. The photos are awesome it just makes me want to be off traveling but one day i will do more. Enjoy it to the max mate.

Catherine x on

Hello!!! Everyone loving hearing your up dates, photos are awsome, when your page isnt blocked the kids are loving seeing your pictures! As sad historians the hums department love the war memorial pics. School is crazy on the run down to the xmas hols, decorations all up, looking lovely! Andy and Lotte are now in Oz! they've not long arrived so might be worth seeing their blog ( not nearly as many pictures as you have!!! Secret santa came to the TA's today, very funny gifts!!! Looking forward to the next installment and ill be in touch once the end of term has arrived! Enjoy everything! Take care much love from all xxxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: