Our visit with Dave and Linda

Trip Start Aug 08, 2010
Trip End Nov 19, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Pointes West Army Recreation Area

Flag of United States  , Georgia
Wednesday, October 27, 2010

We left Charlotte and the Kaspers, and headed out under a weather advisory.  We had no idea what we might run into, but decided to take a chance and see how far we could go.  As it turned out, we drove out of the weather and it wasn't a bad drive.  We arrived in Appling, GA about 1pm.  The afternoon was really nice, so Larry decided to give the motorhome a quick wash.  Later, we went over to see our friends - Dave and Linda Goetz.  It had been about 20 years since we had seen them, but it was like yesterday.  They have a beautiful home and two great dogs and a cat.  It was just like old times.  It was great catching up.  Just as we were finishing dinner, one of their daughters, Brandy and her daughter, Jalin stopped by.  That was a really nice surprise.  Jalin is three and a real cutie.  That night it rained cats and dogs, lol.  The next day was cool and a little wet but not too bad.  Dave and Linda gave us a tour of Fort Gordon and Augusta.  We had lunch at a great little restaurant in old town Augusta.  There were even two tables of older ladies playing cards - very southern.  That evening we went to their favorite German restaurant.  It was just as good as any we ever had in Germany.  This afternoon we are going on a canal cruise and then to a hockey game. I have never been to a hockey game, so I am really looking forward to this.   
We had a perfect day for our canal cruise; it was interesting to learn about the building of the canal and the history of the textile mills and the importance of both to the survival of Augusta.  Then we took a walk along the river and headed to a restaurant called the Boll Weevil Cafe.  They are famous for their deserts.  Needless to say, Linda and I split an appetizer and had desert as our entree.  I had white chocolate cheesecake that was unbelievable, and Linda had a chocolate, chocolate cake that was 12 inches high.  Needless to say, we could have helped the hockey team that night.  Now it was time to head over to the arena to watch the Augusta River Hawks play hockey.  It was lots of fun, and they won their first game of the season in overtime 4 to 3.  It was hard to say goodbye to Dave and Linda, but we had a great time and look forward to seeing them again.  I hope soon.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: