Twelve Hours on a plane - wtih two kids

Trip Start Sep 07, 2007
Trip End Sep 21, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Israel  ,
Friday, September 21, 2007

Our flight leaves at 10:40, which means waking up at 05:00, showering, getting ready (don't forget the kids), saying goodbye and making it to the airport in time.
Since it was the day before Yom-Kippur there was little traffic, and we got to the airport easily, returned our cars and went to check in.
The American airport security should take a note from Israeli airport security.  I counted six times we got "checked out" without any hassles or rudeness.  We did have to open several suitcases because of bowels, teapots and bars of soap, but it was done in a courteous professional manner in our presence - actually we were requested to open the suitcases ourselves.  My foster brother, who came to the airport to say goodbye was laughing saying that he just heard on the news that they only check Arabs and that I should call them up to let them know it's not true.
After the security check in we got our seats, even though we reserved three seats in the front row (with the bassinet), we got "bumped" back because they were other parents with children and Continental felt (and rightly so) that it wouldn't be fair to the other passengers.  However everything worked out pretty good.  We got the two seats in the front which my parents sat in with the baby (who basically slept the whole way except waking up to eat), and we sat a row behind with our daughter in the middle (a kind passenger traded seat with me to the next aisle so we could have the whole row).  The person who sat up front turned to be a father and his daughter, the mother and another daughter sat a row behind us, and we made quick friends and our daughter had a playmate for the duration of the flight.  This was excellent since miss "no-nap" slept for a whole two hours out of the twelve hour flight.
Entertaining a three year old for ten hours in a metal tube is no small task, I can assure you.  However we did bring a portable DVD player (G-d's gift to travelers with kids), her favorite DVDs along with some new ones, coloring books, games and other surprises to pass the time.

Our main topic of conversation mainly centered around one thing: Where to next?
Maine?  Maybe a long weekend in Lanacster, PA? 

Once we got into Newark Airport we called a local taxi company (Edison Alpha Cab Company 732-287-3334) to come pick us up.  Getting off the plane, going through immigration and customs (we are all US citizens) went off smoothly but, of course, our luggage came out last.  Once we got out it turned out our taxi still didn't arrive, we called the company again and they said he was "five minutes away", which was technically true, except that he was stuck in traffic on the New Jersey Turnpike.  The taxi showed up ten minutes later, the driver (a very nice and huge Irish guy), told us how he had to stand in traffic to which we only said
"twelve hours - On a plane - With two kids"!
The driver readily admitted that compared to that his ride was luxurious.
Turned out the driver lives in our area, so we made a friend.

Now ... deal with a three year old with jetlag!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: