Hong Kong!

Trip Start Jan 05, 2011
Trip End Mar 15, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Ramada Hong Kong
Read my review - 3/5 stars

Flag of China  ,
Friday, February 25, 2011

Leigh here!

On Friday morning we headed off to Hong Kong - one of the weekend trips we were most looking forward to. We got up bright and early to catch the 8:20 bus from Zigong to Chongqing (pronounced Chong-Ching). It was a good thing that we decided to get the early bus since about half way there the bus broke down and the driver did some repairs while we were on board. A few hours later we arrived in Chongqing and made our way to the international terminal to fly to Hong Kong!

We arrived in Hong Kong around 6pm and made our way through customs to buy MTR tickets. Hong Kong has a tourist friendly railway system that we were able to use all weekend long. With the "octopus" card in hand, we were off to the hotel.  The airport is situated on Lantau Island so the hotel was about a 30-minute train ride. We finally arrived at the Ramada of Hong Kong around 7:30pm and found a local Pizza Hut for some dinner and headed to bed!

Saturday we acted like kids and went to Disneyland!  It was a great day, the sun was shining and it was the first time since we had been in China that we didn't need a COAT!!  It was a nice surprise!  We felt like we were at home again - there were lots of so-called foreigners and English!  We went on all the rides including Space Mountain, Buzz Light Year, Winnie the Pooh, The Jungle Cruise, Mad Hatter’s Tea Cups, and the Race Way, caught the Lion Kong Show and finished the day with the 5th Anniversary Parade!  Somewhere in the midst we had a hamburger and some Mickey Ice cream and then we headed back to the hotel to drop off our souvenirs and grab a jacket for the evening boat cruise.  We bused over to the Central Pier to get tickets and find the boat.  En route we even found a Starbucks!  The cruise was great we saw all of Victoria Harbor and the city puts on a laser light show called the Symphony of Lights.  The Guiness Book of Records named this the world’s largest permanent light and sound show! It was amazing and a great end to the cruise.  After the show we ventured to Outback steakhouse for an “Outback Special”  and were fat and happy when we headed home that evening. 

Sunday morning we went back to Lantau Island to take the 360-degree cable car to the top of the mountain to see the PoLin Monastery.  We waited in line for an hour and then we were off to the top.  It was a 15km climb and our cabin-mates chatted with us about the history of the island and the cable system. They explained to us that each of the towers for the cable cars were built by hand (SCARY!) and all the supplies were carried up by donkey (poor baby).  At the top there was a modern village with restaurants and shops – we found a Subway and had lunch before we walked over to see the Buddha.  We didn’t see much of a monastery, but the Buddha was amazing as usual and we caught some rays on the way up to the top.  There was no lack of walking and climbing on this weekend trip!  After touring the small town we went back down to the mainland and decided to hit the shops and have a beer before we went to a MOVIE!  Yes, an English speaking movie! What a treat! Little Fockers was funny and we were glad to have the short rest in the theatre.  We ventured back to Hong Kong island and walked about the town a bit and found a nice Italian restaurant for dinner and were yet again fat and happy!  We couldn’t believe the weekend was already over!

Monday morning we walked about the city a little more and then used the “octopus” card to head back to the airport and back to the mainland of China.  We lucked out and landed ourselves on a very nice plane and had an enjoyable trip to Chongqing. We bought bus tickets to Zigong and waited for our bus at 6:30pm to head home. Well, the bus driver must have been a newbie because after a 2 hour tour of Chongqing and some unruly bus riders he finally called for directions and we eventually made our way home.  Needless to say the 5 hour bus ride was no fun!  Yet again, we arrive back in Zigong after a great weekend of travel! We are ready for the last 2 weeks of our journey and then the trip back home!
Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Kelly Mullaney on

"They explained to us that each of the towers for the cable cars were built by hand (SCARY!) and all the supplies were carried up by donkey (poor baby). " = I love you Leigh! :)

Also...you are in China and you went to DISNEY?!?! You are from FLORIDA!

Terry on

Enjoyed your weekend trip, felt like I was there.
Love you, Terry

Michele on

Hahaha!!!! I love the Teacup video!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!

Leigh on

Kelly -- you know I would never pass up a chance to see Disneyland! I about 5 years old on the inside! =) Miss you

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: