Mt Nemrut

Trip Start Nov 01, 2006
Trip End Oct 15, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Turkey  ,
Sunday, July 13, 2008


Well thank you very much Kamal, I think he must have jinxed us, because 10miles from the top of Mt Nemrut, Clive Broke down. Yes I know you are laughing, so haha, but I tell you now it was a very long night.

The drive up was very steep and winding, and as it was close to 40 degrees out side, Clive was having a little trouble staying cool. We had to stop a few times to let him cool off, and a couple of times he started to jump a bit in low gear. Just the heat we thought, we will be ok though. Well on a lovely steep bit about 10kms from the top Clive decided he had had enough and stalled. We let him cool down, and when we thought it would be ok to drive again, the key would not turn in the ignition! It just wouldn't budge. After about 30mins, when it still would not turn, we decided it was time to call the tow truck.

Now we were in the middle of no where, it was 100kms back to Malatya along the steep winding road, and 10kms away was a hotel (where we wanted to be) but nothing more. For most of the time we were there hardly a car passed us. We did get offered help from a man on a donkey, but he judt didn't have any more room for us,and as he continued on his way up the hill, we can't not say we were jelouse of his reliable mode of transport. RAC had some trouble tiring to get a Tow truck, and thank god we had cover because the tow truck was going to cost 500 Euros! We settled in for a long night of waiting stuck on a ridiculous angle on a hill in the middle of no where.

At one point a minibus passed us and a bunch of lovely Turkish people got out to see if they could help. They had a go at turning the key, but could not budge it. So they piled us up with a heap of food (bread goat's cheese and grapes) and left us to the wilderness. Before they left the one person who could speak English told us to close the door. We said ok, but he was quiet insistent that we did it. We again said ok, and he said to us, 'you must close it, there will be wolves here.' Right well he didn't have to tell us again, we closed it quick smart and locked all of the doors (well you never know!) We didn't see any wolves but I made sure I wasn't looking for them.
The Tow truck finally came at about 3:30am (yes after 6hrs of waiting). He loaded Clive onto the back (after getting Dave to reverse down the hill, in the dark with out any lights towards a big steep cliff) and we set off, up the hill. You see it was the only place he could turn around. So we made it to the top to see the stone statues off in the distance only to turn around and prepaid for the long trip back to Malatya!

We arrived back in town at about 10am, and waited for Clive to be fixed. We got a lot of attention and within 2hrs he was deemed sorted and we were able to go on our way. We decided not to risk going back up the mountain this way again (once bitten twice shy) and went the long, but flatter way. About half way to our destination Clive started to play up again. He was bunny hopping anytime we went up a hill. So we stopped in a small town and asked for a mechanic. An old man told us to follow him in his car and we drove 5 mines down the road to a little mechanics.

Well again we got the royal treatment, everyman and his dog was looking under clives bonnet, pulling bits out sucking fuel from lines (with their mouth) and chopping bits off. We looked on stunned, hoping they knew what they were doing! We got brought sine water and a man who spoke a little English sat with us and chatted. It seems he lived in Australia and Turkey and had a wife in both countries! We got brought a kebap each (just part of the hospitality, and one of the best we have had) and continued to wait. It took about 2 hrs and we were told that our fuel pump was broken and it would have to be replaced, but that they didn't have one, and the garage in the next town that would, was now closed and we would have to wait until Monday! Lucky for us they had fixed it well enough to use and just told us to pour water over it every hr or so, to cool it down, and we would be fine until monday. We thanked them profusely and went on our way, all that hospitality and hard work for just 30 lira!

We did as told and stopped a few times on the way up the other side of the mountain. But as we were getting close to the camp site he was really starting to not like it, and not pushing it we didn't drivie to the top. So after being awake for 36hrs we finally got to have a shower, and go to sleep, and sleep we did.

We are camped only 8kms away from the top, and are going to wait until this afternoon for someone to give us a lift, the last 8km are very steep and I know if we try and take Clive up he will stop again! The camp if fairly basic but in a nice location, there is meant to be a pool, but they are only just filling it up, so it could take a while. Hopefully we will get to the top tonight, hopefully..........

Miles so far: 9221

Well we did make it to the top, we got a lift to the top for a small fee, but we both knew Clive wouldn't make it, so it was worth it. There were a few people at the top, but not enough to make it to over crowded. The stone statues were of a King from the pre roman era and the gods who he believed to be his relatives. He had the peak of the mountain created out of small stones, and his tomb may well be hidden inside, but no one is sure because if you were to remove a few the stones above would just tumble down. The statutes aren't complete anymore, the heads have all tumbled off their bodies from earthquakes years past, but it makes the site feel more undiscovered and real.

We meet a few different people up the top, and talked to a few different Turkish people who spoke next to no English. They seemed very pleased to be talking to us though, and we got pictures and an address, and were told that we must send a picture to them! We also saw the group of German kids in the big green truck, it turns out they were on a school trip with their teacher. We relaxed back at the camp site that night and then headed back to Adiyaman to get Clive looked at.

Well we could not find the mechanics we were meant to go, but a kid jumped in the back of Clive and pointed us to a Peugeot mechanic. We sat in there for about an hr trying to tell them it was the fuel pump and it needed to get replaced but they didn't understand, eventually I remembered the card that the second mechanic had given us and got them to call them. It all got sorted and they fixed it, and we thought that would be the last mechanics we saw. Again we got treated to some kebaps and Ayran, a yogurt drink mixed with water and salt (no it isn't very good!) and again they thought it was great having us there and we had to give them our email addresses before we left. Finally we continued on our way and arrived in Sanliurfa that afternoon to sweltering conditions.

Miles so far: 9376
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


robynjb on

car worries
we are pleased clive is all fixed, especially since you are heading to places like syria. If you keep going you wont need air fares to Egypt.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html:

Table of Contents