Perth to Port Douglas

Trip Start Oct 13, 2008
Trip End Nov 26, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Saturday, November 1, 2008

First a message for Caitlin. Best grandaughter in the world prize is wavering as you texted grandad to say "It's Caitlin" at 4.00 am in the morning!! Well yes, you're still up there for the prize, only kidding. Hope you all had a great time in Turkey and have lovely suntans. Did Ashlyn do lots of handstands in Turkey? I'll bet she spent most of the time in the pool - probably doing handstands!! Hi Michael, I bet this blog is a surprise coming so soon after the text from grandad. Communication between gran and grandad is just the same - continuing as normal!! By the way there's lots more grandad wants to tell you that we couldn't possibly print! See you.

It was lovely talking to Owen and Erin on the phone last week - pity Alix was asleep as her "hi ya" is missed. Laugh for Owen - dad still has the numbers wrong!!

Message for Owen: Can you phone John Alford, his number is in our address book and give him the blog site as Dad thinks he forgot to give it to him.

Since last 'blogging' we've been to a western Australian barbecue - a farewell from Murray and Tina to Murray's golfing buddies complete with spa bath when it was really hot and log fire in the evening when it was cold!! That's Australia!! The golf chat amongst men is exactly the same as in Scotland We had a lovely Thai meal Sunday evening and then went off on Monday morning to spend a couple of days with Carol and Ian Blacklaw. Our first visit was to Government House as Ian used to work there. It was very interesting and we met the present Governor of Western Australia and his wife. Lovely couple. We then visited Wendy and Scott who couldn't remember us but it was good seeing a couple of 'real Australians' which they are but their mum and dad haven't changed accent at all. We then went off to Two Rocks where they stay. It is right up the coast from Perth and it was a bit windy but we saw a lovely sunset there. Next morning we went touring round the area and had lunch in a place called Gin Gin and visited the National Park - koalas and kangaroos etc. Next morning we played golf in the National Park - very different from Ladybank. Loads of kangaroos being amorous on the fairways was my excuse for playing badly ha ha. There were loads of lovely birds flying about. We then went off for lunch and returned to Tina's in Perth to get ready for our next leg which was to Uluru.

This was totally different and you certainly see the two Australias. It was very hot - 37 degrees but the locals thought it was quite a cool day. I was melting. Despite a cloudy start we enjoyed an excellent sunset over the rock. Up at 4.00 am next day to return to see the sunrise. Who would have believed I could get up at that time - pretty short tempered - who me!! We then had a cultural tour round the base of the rock seeing all the caves where the aboriginals stayed and had all their rituals and ceremonies. It was 3 hours out in the heat and I never thought I'd not want to be out in it but I must be getting old or something. Left on an afternoon flight to Cairns and here we are now.

Message for Dian Bennett: Do you recognise this last bit. Got to Port Douglas very late - as did you - and found key to apartment waiting for us in an envelope.

Looking forward to the Barrier Reef tomorrow. More of that to come.

We have taken loads of pictures but to date have not yet figured how to download these. Will maybe have a try later on.
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: