Trip Start Aug 17, 2010
18Trip End Dec 30, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
1. I want to travel extensively while I am abroad. Not only do I want to see all of the "hot spots" within Egypt, but I plan to travel to Istanbul, Israel, and hopefully Spain. Sadly, I realize that I will actually be studying in Cairo and will probably not have time-- or the resources-- for all of these trips. Istanbul features a mixture of European and Asian cultures all in one city, and Israel is home to many, many religious sites for the three major religions. Spain is another option because my friend Alice is studying in Seville this semester and I would love to go see her (and hopefully some other PC friends when they visit)
2. I hope to absorb everything I can about Egyptian culture. You could say that I even hope to "walk like an Egyptian", though from what I've seen in books and shows "walking like an Egyptian" is nothing like the popular Bangles tune. While there is another PC student that will be at AUC (the American University in Cairo) with me, we are not in fact living together because we have decided we would like to distance ourselves from English culture for awhile. However, we will get together to travel and talk about important PC events such as the "big" PC v. Clemson game. Hopefully, by the end of my stay I will be able to fit into Egyptian society, at least a little bit. Maybe I will be even to speak a bit of Arabic by the end of the semester-- keep in mind that any Arabic will be an improvement over what I know now.
3. To try new things. I really want to try as many new things as possible that put me out of my comfort zone and encourage me to push my own boundries. Anything I am offered I plan on trying--within reason of course.
4. Eventually on this trip I hope to be completely comfortable flying. I tend to get a little nervous at any sign of turbulance and at takeoff and landing
5. Make new friends from other places.
There is a very good chance that I am forgetting many of my expectations which I thought of along the way, but these are some of the main points.
Now, packing is finished and my bags are ready to go. I have packed and repacked and I pray I did not forget anything I cannot get in Switzerland or Cairo! Wish me luck and please continue to comment and follow along.
(This entry was started at home before I left and finished once I arrived in Switzerland. If there are any mistakes with y's and z's it is because I finished the entry on Mario's Swiss computer. Appologies in advance)