Day Two - Fast and Furious to Yuma

Trip Start Dec 13, 2008
Trip End Dec 16, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Arizona
Monday, December 15, 2008

Family, Friends, and Co-workers

When my alarm clock went off at 5:15 am this morning, it startled me out of a pretty weird dream.   There I was, back in the El Cajon pass but instead of rain, it was snowing and I was attempting the steep descent with flat tires and no brakes.   The rest of the team was sitting in lawn chairs along the shoulder waving and cheering and I surmised that my crash was going to be the entertainment for the day.  Thank God the alarm took me out of that situation!  
The good news about the new day was that it was only modestly cool outside and the skies were relatively clear.   We had spent hours during the prior evening trying to dry out the riding clothing using the room hair dryer and none of us wanted to face another day in cold wet clothing.   So, with a lot more confidence, we loaded the van and headed back to the base of the El Cajon pass to begin our second day of riding.

While the weather didn't include fog, rain, or near freezing temperatures, the wind was still very present but thanks to the bicycle gods, it was at our backs.    Still, everyone was pretty gun shy concerning the cold given the near frostbite the day before, so we not only put on several layers of clothing, but also resorted to some rather extreme measures.  According to Lawrence, this included lighting his nipples on fire (that may not be something you want to dwell on). When we initially took off, our enthusiasm combined with the wind resulted in an average speed of over 26 mph over the next 30 miles, but we did have one interruption.  Only three miles into the ride, we needed to stop to put Lawrence's fire out and to remove the twenty extra pieces of clothing we obviously didn't need. When we resumed, the pace was incredible and ultimately there were consequences.

Given that Jim was still recovering from his neck injuries, he only planned to ride one hour of every two, but Lawrence began to lag at mile 60 with leg cramps and ultimately decided to travel for a bit in the van to recover.  Then at mile 66 Adam elected to take the same action.  Jason and I chose to stay on the bike and we toughed out the next 20 miles with Jim who elected to join us for this leg.  It was this particular section that forced us down an unused highway that hadn't seen maintenance since its original construction.   Huge pot holes and buckled sections created a level of riding discomfort hard to describe.   I suggest trying tying a jack hammer to your groin and duck tape the switch in the on position.   Get the picture?  By the 4th mile, I felt that I'd gone 10 rounds with an angry midget.

At mile 86, Adam and Lawrence re-joined us for the ride through Yuma and the final climb/descent through Telegraph Pass.   By the time we reached the outskirts of Yuma (at 100 miles), everyone was hurting pretty bad and it was mutually agreed that we would stop at the bottom of the pass(113 miles).   While this is pretty short of the day's goal, it was our best shot.  The good news is that riding tomorrow involves significantly less elevation gain, but can we do 150 miles?   We'll just have to wait and see.

 Until tomorrow...

Thanks for sharing our journey.

Kerry (and Team Tolero)
Slideshow Report as Spam
Where I stayed
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: