From NY to Texas

Trip Start Dec 27, 2010
Trip End Jan 16, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Texas
Thursday, January 6, 2011

The last day in NY was all about recovering from the previous 3 days in New York City and preparing for our trip to Texas to stay at Nicola's Dad's house.
We packed our bags, tidied the house in NY, then went for a walk to the local pizza place to grab one last slice of NY pepperoni pizza before the move.
A couple of family members came by the house to say goodbye, then we hopped in the van for the train station. We caught the train to the aircar which took us to JFK. That was pretty crazy. The aircar was packed and at one stop, as one guy tried to get off, his suitcase tore open and all of his clothes and belongings spilled everywhere in the packed carriage. The poor guy had to go around for a whole other loop after he repacked everything in front of everybody. It was lucky he didn't have anything too embarrassing in his case.
We made it to the check-in counter in time but both our bags were quite overweight so had to madly repack and shuffle everthing around. It still cost us an extra $120 for luggage allowance and made us panic about getting to the flight on time. In the end, we made it without any problem and got our flight to Charlotte, North Carolina where we would then catch the same plane after a stop over, to Dallas/Fort Worth in Texas.
The North Carolina airport was awesome! It really had the old south vibe to it. There was a NASCAR diner, lots of trees inside the terminal, and best of all...big old white rocking chairs everywhere rather than the usual plastic airport chairs. The food here was brilliant too! Rather than just the usual Burger King and Starbucks, there was a good choice of southern style BBQ places too. Nik's kids had the usual junk food but me and Nik grabbed some fantastic old south BBQ dinner and a Carolina Blone beer to wash it down with. This would have been my favourite meal of the trip so far. I wasn't even sure what half of what I was eating was, but it was damn good (mmmm...cornbread!).
After a couple of hours which went by really fast we caught our plane to Texas. When we landed, we were met by Nik's dad and, after a stop at Walmart at 130am, we arrived at his beautiful house about 15 minutes later. Bought some awesome things at Wal-mart that my girls will love. As well as a couple of presents for them, I got some Dr. Pepper and Reece's ice cream toppings. Oh yeah! Gotta love the crap they sell at Wal-mart at all hours of the night.
Once we settled in at the house, we pretty much had to get to bed right away. The day had been another exhausting one with all the hours of airline travel, packing, un-packing, stressing about luggage...etc.
I'm looking forward to spending time in Texas. When you get the opportunity to stay at friend's and relatives houses, it's definitely a more authentic experience compared with staying in hotels, this should be very nice.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: