OOPS, I did find internet

Trip Start Nov 19, 2008
Trip End Dec 12, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of India  ,
Tuesday, December 9, 2008

This morning we got up at 5:30, were delivered hot tea in our room and were on our way by 6am. We were stopped briefly at the entrance to the park reserve, as we began driving I heard the monkeys going ape, I turned too see what the commotion was and saw a baby tiger running through the bushes. I yelled tiger, but it was already gone. And of course I hadn't even taken my camera out yet. What an added bonus, we tried to see one yesterday. We hung dead quiet in the jeep with the binoculars but the monkeys eventually quieted down, which meant the predator had left. So, the elephants-We had no problems getting on the elephants and off we went into the 8+ foot grasslands. There were 8-10 elephants with us, this way with a whole herd the rhinos are less likely to charge. We saw different species of deer and wild boar, and a cobra skin. The first rhino we came across was a mother and cub(?). One of the elephants got too close and started to blow his trunk and rear up, the mother and her children that were riding her looked terrified - I was terrified. But it was a fleeting moment and all was back to normal. We came across some more mother rhino and their offspring, only 2 males. It was a wonderful excursion.
Last night at the hotel there was a cultural program. There were 5 men, 2 playing drums, 1 with tamborine, symbols or a spear and 10 girls, ages 10-14, I'd say. Pam, along with some other women from the audience got up and danced with them. It was nice, but the truely memorable event happened before the performance. There was a well dressed man with his family sitting next to us, we were in the front row. As soon as they sat down he belched really loud, I figured it was a cultural thing (he was Indian) shortly there after though was the ultimate- we're sitting there waiting for the act to start and the man leaned over lifting one of his cheeks off the chair and farted! Pam and I looked at each other in disbelief and I thought I was going to have to leave my chair in fear I might fall off from holding in my shock and laughter. What made me think of this was our elephant this morning had gas. Boy did she have gas, and I joked to the driver, "too much curry!" I assume that's what's been our problem........

Our last night in paradise, tomorrow we're off to crowded dirty Delhi. Sharon and Terry arrived around 4 pm. They checked in and came to check us out and our digs. They're in the main hotel far away from our private cottage. They left this morning at 6 am-10 hours in the car, so happy we didn't go with them. When  they were in Mon they did meet 2 kings and an actual headhunter with 36 kills under his belt. They saw the pit where they put all the heads, they also stepped into Burma and saw some children torture and kill a cat - this was after they threw stones at Terry! We didn't miss anything.
This is my last computer entry. The computer is being packed away tonight, not to be plugged in again. I tried, but there were absolutely no internet connections this whole time, I barely was able to make phone calls. So I apologize for leaving you all hanging. The following entries, although sent from home, were written on the road, so just pretend I'm not home yet and you're just getting an influx of blogs. At least this way I can send an edited selection of pictures with ease and share my thoughts of the day. Enjoy! k
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: