Volcano tour

Trip Start Jan 20, 2010
Trip End May 15, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Greece  , Cyclades,
Friday, April 30, 2010

Day Five: Today Chad and I went on a volcano tour. We left from Fira's port and headed to the volcanic island first. Our tour guide was not allowed to be on the island from what we understood so we took paths parallel to the main ones. When we would see other tour groups in the distance, our tour guide would dart off to avoid seeing them. The volcano was not what I was expecting. The island has only been noticeable for the last 50 years and is a giant pile of ash. We saw lots of craters, even though they were hard to spot due the shear size of them. Next we moved onto the hot springs. They should really rename it to the luke warm springs. In order to swim in them, we had to jump off the side of the boat into freezing cold water and swim a little over 100 meters to it. The water was a deep red from the clay and turned the white parts in our bathing suits a rust red. Unfortunately Chad's bathing suit was mostly white. After drying off we looked through the glass bottom and saw craters under the sea. We stopped in Thirisa for lunch. Chad had a squid and chicken grilled dish while I had a mixed fish dish. There was not a whole lot to see on the island so we wondered up a windy path and looked out on the water for the remaining time. We looked over a windmill and the clear blue skies. Behind us on the path donkeys rode up and down transporting people and supplies. Our final stop for the day was in Oia. We were dropped off at the port and had to walk up 300 steps to the top. (It felt like way more than 300). Once we got to the top we had ice cream and a beer and found a spot to enjoy the view. We must have sat there for two hours just taking everything in. For dinner we went to the Pelican restaurant. It was on the top floor of a building, all open air with a 360 degree view. As a starter we had proshuta and melon plate. Than for dinner I had homemade ravioli with pesto sauce and Chad had the same type of pasta with a seafood sauce. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to watch the whole sunset, and were only to able to see it up until 30-45 minutes because we had to get back on the bus to go back to the hostel.                  
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: