The Series of Unfortunate Events: Rome Chapter

Trip Start Jan 20, 2010
Trip End May 15, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Italy  , Lazio,
Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day four:

After waking up at 5ock, we arrived at the airport half asleep. Jessica and I sat next to each other in an exit row on the plane. After stowing our carry ons the flight attendant came over and told us that we couldn't put anything under the seat during take off and landing...that's fine, I'm cool with that, I was planning on sleeping so I didn't need anything anyways. THAN ALL HELL BRAKES LOSS she asked me to put poor helpless Charlie up in the bins.... DOES SHE NOT KNOW WHO HE IS?? I put up a big stink about it even asking if I could buckle him in the empty seat next to me...she looked at me like I had three heads. I had another girl not sitting in an exit row hold him so he didn't have to be caged (he's not a wild animal... He's a world-class traveler!). Right before landing the flight attendant wakes me up (I was listening to my ipod asleep) and she tells me we are landing within minutes and he needs to be put in the overhead so naturally I explain him to her asking again to put him in the seat next to me and she takes me and tosses him up top like he is some stuffed animal! Poor Charlie. The little baby behind me even started crying for me sharing his sympathy for me (I was later told it was because his ears hurt... Don't know if I believe that or not). So after Charlie is taken from me the flight attendant makes it her mission to yell at me some more! She asked me to turn off my ipod (which it was) and the speakers were dangling down. She must have asked 8 times in the span of five seconds to turn it off. At this point I was so fed up with her I wish it on to stick it to her. THAN without Charlie to protect me we had the worst landing in the history of landings. We didn't have a smooth landing, we bounced down which made everyone scream and start to panic. After we bounced down into Rome we had to come to a screeching stop because the pilot didn't land soon enough. Everything seemed worse without my little man! THAN we went to retrieve out luggage and about half the people got their bags and than the luggage stopped coming out. We all had dreams of running around the streets of Rome naked. It finally showed up 20 minutes later soaking wet from the flood that is coming down from the heavens. Overall, my first impressions (the second time around) where not very good.

After settling into the hotel we went on a three-hour walking tour (which turned into 4 hrs) in the pouring rain. I am not sure what we even saw because I was trying to protect myself from the rain with my trusty hat and umbrella. We saw the coliseum, mid evil Rome, a courtyard, pantheon, Spanish steps and the Trevi fountain. We than went home showered and went out to dinner. During our walk, many people were slipping all over the wet marble tiles and one girl even fell and almost had to be taken to the hospital. We had pizza and wine, both of which were very yummy!        


Day five:

The weather started out rainy which was a downer however once we got to the coliseum the sun came out! For the first time on our trip we had blue sky!! We walked around and had a guided tour and were able to see pictures of what it used to look like. We than took the metro to the Vatican. The church was built in the 4th century. The Sistine Chapel is the oldest structure and was used for protection taking 100 and something years to build. In addition to the Sistine Chapel there are other smaller chapels around. The Pope lives in the palace part now and appears in his window every Sunday. The number 8 is a signal for internal life (I.e. there are 8 windows in the church) and was given symbolic power because that is when God rested after creating Earth. Michello Angelo started painting the Sistine Chapel ceiling from the end to the beginning. When forced to take the scaffolding down for his boss to check his process, he realized the figures where too small and the details could not be seen, from than on he worked in a more "free hand" style. He used a lot of green and yellow (they are complementary colors, and reflect the most light), however it was thought to be black and white until a restoration took place in early 2000. For his other work of art in the Chapel, he painted everyone naked. He believed that if a body was proportionate it was beautiful. When he finished, the church was going through a reform and did not want naked bodies on the walls, but he refused. The Church put on a campaign called the "fig leave campaign" for the figures to be covered up. In the end another painter came in and covered up the figures. After that we went to St Peter's Square and sat in the sun before going down to the river. Jessica and I split and sandwich and a bottle of wine and watched the river go by. While the gesture of sitting drinking wine is romantic and very European of us it resulted (more so for me than Jessica) in a fun spat of FOOD POISONING, instead of going to a bar made entirely out of ice (an ice bar) I had to stay home.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: