The Fabulous Lobstor Dinner From Hell!

Trip Start Jun 30, 2012
Trip End Jul 16, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
New Harbor

Flag of United States  , Rhode Island
Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sunday and Monday in Mystic was spent touring the Mystic Seaport and what a fun time.  The $26 ($20 for seniors bought at the Chamber of Commerce) fee included two days and everything in the museum.  The weather was awesome and the exhibits were very interesting.  There's a lot to do for children too.  It's a must see!  Sunday we had to take a cab into town because of dingy motor problems, the cab came right away and was very convenient.  The driver who took us into town even told us about the savings to be had at the Chamber of Commerce.  Soooo when it was time to go for dinner at Abbotts Lobster in the Rough, we called for pick up at 7pm. 7pm came and went so did 7:30; about the time we were about to give up and head back to the boat for tortellini in red sauce at 8:00 the Yellow Cab finally showed up!  THEN when we got into the cab the driver asks where we are going, we tell him and he says "That's downtown Mystic, right?"  We told him that no, it was 2 1/2 miles in the opposite direction.  After 2 phone calls into base and Mary showing him the cartoon map, he finally figures out where to take us.  We arrive at the restaurant at 8:30 - that's right, a half hour later when it should have only taken 10 mins - they close at 9pm.  We were able to order and devoured 10 pounds of lobster!  It was time to go home, we reluctantly call for a cab and were told it would be an hour!  Now the restaurant is closed and they are cleaning up to go home,  We're facing standing in the parking lot alone, in the dark with a VERY upset skunk wandering around. (Mr. Skunk arrived as we were finishing dinner).  Capt. Kelsey went into the restaurant and offered $20 to anyone who would take us back to the marina and lovely Jordana volunteered.  We were VERY thankful to her, she was really sweet. Monday morning our dingy motor was adjusted and we then dingy-ed into town for lunch and more touring of the Seaport.

Tuesday morning we departed Mystic Shipyard (est.1843) for Block Island at 0800. After stopping for fuel, we arrived in Great Salt Pond at New Harbor at 1200.  Unfortunately, we were not early enough for a town mooring ball so we dropped the hook, had lunch and relaxed until the time the Harbormaster was assigning private balls.  Once we picked up a ball for the night, we settled down for a leisurely evening.  We were visited by the crew of s/v Messing About and then after dinner we enjoyed a challenging game of Jenga - yes, Denise, you CAN play Jenga on a boat!  Wednesday we rented a car and toured the island and did some window shopping then had a lovely lunch of clam chowder and mussels at the Spring House Hotel.

As I write this, the Captains are monitoring the weather for the next couple days so that the Admirals can determine whether we will return to the Chesapeake via the "outside" (straight down the ocean from Block to Cape May) or the "inside" (along Long Island Sound to NYC and then Sandy Hook)  The outside route would be about 2 days quicker but there could be tricky weather and sea conditions that would make the Admirals and Minni the Cat "uncomfortable". 

Stay tuned for the verdict in the next couple days.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: