The Long Road Home

Trip Start Jan 13, 2007
Trip End Jan 28, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Ontario,
Sunday, January 28, 2007

We took a cab to the airport from the hotel, Allan dropped me off at the International Terminal, and went on to the domestic terminal; he was heading back to Kalibo for another week with his family.

Once I got through the lines and checked in, and through the double security, I waited for my flight.  The waiting area had a few stores, and a place to get some breakfast. 

Again I flew Cathey Pacific to Hong Kong.  Once at the airport I only had 45 minutes transfer and I ran to the Air Canada gate.  There I found out there was an Ice Storm in Toronto and that some flights had been cancelled - especially the direct flights.  Since my flight was to Vancouver, I was not cancelled so the long transpacific flight went ahead.  I know I slept most of the way,  because I can't remember even a bit of the flight.

I do remember getting to Vancouver though.  Since I was coming from overseas, I had to claim my luggage and go through customs, but my luggage never came.  I was asked by customs twice though if I had met anyone or married while I was away.  LOL

Once we figured out that my luggage came on a direct flight to Toronto,  I headed off to my gate to Toronto, only to find out that flight was cancelled.  I just sat and waited to see if there was room on the next flight. As the gate attendent called people up to get on the plane, i just sat and sat.  Finally, 6 hours after my flight was supposed to leave, I was put on a flight from Singapore that had stopped in Vancouver.

It was a very pleasant flight, and since it was an overseas flight, I wasn't asked to pay for food or drink!!

Arrival in Toronto; the Ice Storm had subsided - it happened yesterday afterall, so we landed ok, and off I went to get my luggage, hoping it was there..

No such luck.  Off to the counter to register the missing luggage.  They told me it was at the airport, but it had to clear customs.  They expected a 4 to 6 hour wait, and advised me to go home and they would deliver it the next day.

And so they did.

Thats it for the 2007 trip. Allan got back a week later..the trip of a lifetime is least till 2009 when we are going again, and for a longer period.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Gerry on

Nice photos it reminds me of my younger days in Kalibo,Aklan

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: