Fish In The Water

Trip Start Nov 01, 2006
Trip End Aug 01, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Turkey  ,
Monday, May 28, 2007

Looking out over the boat, all I see is water so blue it's like paint being brushed on a canvas. If you glance down you can see right through the water to the fish swimming along the boat. Every morning I was greeted with majestic waters to snorkel in and intense sunshine for tanning my porcelain skin. This would be my life for the next four days...

Early in the morning Daniel and I packed up our things and walked to the harbor where we boarded Zafer-K, our new home for the next 4 days. All that consumed me was excitement and sadness. Excitement because all through my travels I dreamed of sailing the Mediterranean, sadness because this too was my fathers dream and he wasn't going to be here living it. At least I could bring back stories and pictures for him to marvel in.

Our captain, Ahmet, and the deck hand, Sunny, were going to be our hosts for the four days of sailing. Along for the ride were 3 couples, Aussies, Irish, and more Americans. In total there were eight of us, the perfect number for a 70ft yacht, although they pack 16 on during the high season, whew, lucky us! Immediately, we all became acquainted and settled in to this luxurious lifestyle. Our first destination was the picturesque beach of Oludeniz.

We anchored in a cove off the beach where we could dive and snorkel without anyone else around. No one really needed sand since we had the plush lounge cushions on the boat deck to lie on. Funny how once we left the main land, none of us wanted to see another tourist beside those of us on our boat. The captain said it was deep enough to dive or jump off the rock face, so sure enough I climbed up the 30ft rock and jumped off. Everyone marveled in my bravery as they all nixed the idea themselves; except Daniel who attempted to jump, but once at the top freaked out and came down with his tail between his legs. Leave it to the ex-spring board diver to be the daring one. Later on that afternoon I ended up doing dives off the side of the boat... that started an attempted diving war, but in the end I was the only one diving in.

That evening we anchored at St. Nicholas Island, one of the Twelve Islands around the coast of Fethiye. Our captain sure knew how to find places to stay that no one was anchored at. All the couples went for a hike up to the ruins that evening, but Daniel and I thought we would wait till the morning in order to have better light for photos. Good thing I waited because first it started to rain and then when everyone came back they went on and on about the huge spiders hanging in-between the trees. We all know how arachnophobic I am, so this was one hike I didn't need to do; I went for a long swim instead!

The next few days were a blur of yummy Turkish food, great company, lots of swimming, fishing, sailing, and of course sleeping in the sun! We sailed around more of the 12 islands dropping anchor where it was secluded and the water was beautiful. There was one spot, off Cleopatra's Island, that we liked so much, none of us wanted to leave. It was a great place to hike the island and get in a lot of long swims. I think we spent the whole day and night there.

The last full day we sailed to Gocek, Turkey to drop off Cam & Deb, the Aussie couple, who were leaving a day early. They had limited time in Turkey and decided to fly to Istanbul from Gocek. We all wandered this small yachting village, but after an hour realized none of us were ready for tourism yet. Hailing our captain down we made refuge back on the boat trying to erase the hour of mainland we had just endured.

For our last night we sailed to another remote spot where oysters were a plenty. Rob and I went diving and came back with a bag full of freshly hunted oysters for everyone to enjoy. Along with our find, another great meal was served and a few rounds of paperclip poker were played before we made for our cabins to sleep. Daniel, Rob, and I decided that our last night's sleep should be out on the deck, so I snuggled into my flannel sleep sheet (Thanks REI) and blanket and fell asleep to the waves crashing against the boat and the full moon shining down on me. As I fell asleep I recalled the last 3 days of bliss I had just experienced and was amazed at how fate brought me to another amazing place in the world.

The last day was spent swimming in the morning and then making our journey back to Fethiye. Daniel and I, as well as, the Irish couple all had busses to catch in the late afternoon, so we packed up our things and once back in Fethiye made for the bus station to journey on further into Turkey. Daniel and I had an overnight bus to the region of Cappadocia. It was going to be a grueling 15-hour bus ride, but with no other choice we found our seats and made the best of it. For the first few hours on the bus all I thought about were the last 4 days of sailing the open waters, I was definitely a fish in my past life!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: