Ce N’est Pas Comme ca en Amérique
Trip Start Aug 30, 2009
13Trip End Apr 28, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
- Men sporting jelly shoes (oh yes, we remember these, those clear plastic shoes we all wore in middle school)
- Motor oil as a burn antiseptic
- Africa does weird things to your skin: rashes, blister beetle sores, bacterial sores that prevent walking, etc.
- Spitting, picking your nose, grabbing your crotch anytime, anywhere, and in front of whomever...literally all the time
- Spaghetti/macaroni on bread with mayonnaise, and (if you choose) beans as well
- Spaghetti/macaroni sprinkled on rice (this is fancy food)
- Liberal use of dried fish in literally almost every meal
- Donkey races with small child drivers
- Eating every meal with your hands (right hand only, left hand reserved for other things, you can only guess)
- Liberal use of insults to any and everyone, people you don't know are not exempt from the insult hurling; they actually seem to be favored targets
- Small children can apparently do anything big children can do: shopping, driving charettes, any general task that an young/adult should do but feels they don’t need to because they can send a small child
- Bird slaying by slingshot followed by a bbq
- In Senegal it takes 5 seconds to fall in love with a white girl: see, speak, love. "I have always wanted a white wife".
- Every baby is available for the taking if you are going to America, or will be going to America at some point in the future
- Men squat to pee. Why? That’s one of the beauties of being a man, you don’t have to squat.
- Men holding hands and being generally physically affectionate with one another
- Boobs everywhere….everywhere, and of all ages…yuck
- Animals roam everywhere, the capital city highway included
- Fear of cats and dogs by at least 85% of the population
- Saying hello/greeting can take a solid 3 minutes, with the same questions being asked repeatedly (and it’s rude if you don’t greet so we are forced to participate)
- You can buy anything, in any amount (1 cigarette, ¼ Nescafe, 1 tbs sugar)….not for individual sale not applicable in this country
- You can fall asleep anywhere, anytime, and its completely acceptable
- Falling stars every night
- Anyone will pick you up on the side of the road if you need a ride (charette, car, 18-wheeler) and it’s common Peace Corps volunteer behavior
- Laying outside under the stars with your whole family every night
- Napping all afternoon because that’s what you do in the afternoon
- Hissing is a completely acceptable way to get someone’s attention
- Eating all parts of an animal (eyes, insides, head, etc.)…ew