Richmond. 29/01 to 04/02

Trip Start Jun 11, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Tuesday, January 29, 2008

We had a really good nights sleep and got up for breakfast. Our first working day for Debbie & Warren went well. Robert worked outside trimming the lawns and I remade a bed, dusted and vac'd in one of the spare rooms, then moved stuff from an old office to the sun room and did some pc stuff. Bang on 4 hours after we started work Debbie said to pack in for lunch, wow!

We had lunch then Robert & I went to play mini golf at the Challenge Golf Course on Main Road Hope in Richmond. It was the hardest course we've ever played on. Robert at one point was 17 shots behind me (a big first) but he came back gloriously to lose by only 2 shots.

We then went for a couple drinks in a really nice café/bar. The staff were brill' and we had a great laugh with them. We had a desert there.... Mmmmm. Merange, cream, ice-cream, custard, kiwi-fruit, strawberries, mmmmmm.

Then back to the house where Robert made dinner, it was a stir-fry and all the veg's were from the garden. Debbie was at work so we & Warren ate and saved some for Debbie.

Day 2, another good day, we did our 4 hours. I'm really enjoying it, I've turned into a P.A. to Debbie which is great, then had lunch and went into Nelson for a walk. Debbie recommended the "centre of New Zealand". We parked by the park where the first game of rugby was played in New Zealand, then walked up a rather steep hill to the top. It took us about 15 mins, once there we were afforded a great view of the whole of Nelson. (and also the chance for me to get my breath back!). We walked back down via a Kauri tree (you don't get many of them on the South Island) but even though it was very tall it was still very thin, but then it's very young planted in 1950's.

We then drove down the Nelson coast and found a crazy golf course at a campsite... it was only $2.50 each bargain! However, I was shocking! I think I lost by about 27 shots.... Robert thought it was highly amusing... GIT!

Then back to the house for dinner, really good nosh (lambs livers, kidneys and bacon, mmmm). I bought a bottle of wine for Debbie & I to drink, but she was late back from work and I drunk it all (sorry Debbie).

Day 3, another good working day, Roberts building retaining walls around the veggie patches, I've been doing more P.A. work.

We lingered over lunch today and sat chatting with Warren & Debbie for ages so by the time we got away most stuff were closed.

Debbie had invited us to go to a show with them tomorrow night and asked us to call in for the tickets, however when we got there they were sold out! Debbie wasn't impressed. Never mind. We drove around a bit then went to the Wakefield Bar back in Richmond for a couple drinks, and a portion of Turkish bread with cheese and sweet chilli. Vic, the owner, remembered our drink order and knocked $2 off our food which was really nice of him. We said we'd come back for dinner on Saturday. We asked Debbie & Warren if they'd like to come out too and they said yes (so they must like us, I think ;-) ).

Debbie's God-daughter, Frankie, was staying overnight and she's a real cuttie.. We had roast lamb and fresh veggies from the garden for dinner, I even made Yorkshire Puddings. yum yum. Frankie hadn't had them before and refused to try them until we said that they were the same as what's in Toad-in -the-Hole, then she loved them. We rolled into bed later that night.

Friday 1st February 2008
After work and lunch we got moving and got to the WOW (World of Wearable art) and classic car museum. The wearable art was really interesting and they have the live competition in Wellington every year. I would love to go to it one day. There weren't vary many cars but what they had was in pristine condition, they even had a Holden car that we could sit in. After that we went back to the Challenge golf course that we'd been to earlier in the week, it started off really back with Robert completely loosing it on the first hole and taking about 30 shots to get the ball in, the more shots he used the worse he got (he broke the "no foul language" rule several times) I let him calm down a bit then let him go again and he did it in 3! I shouldn't have been so kind because I went on to loose by 3 shots! Oh well we agreed to cancel his first 30 shots against my 27 losing score from yesterday, so that's ok. I think our running total score is me behind by 17 shots!

When we got back to the house Warren said that Frankie & Debbie had gone for a swim at the river, so we jumped in the car and went after them. We followed the directions from Warren down a track road and drove onto a pebble banking to where we saw their truck. Debbie & Frankie were already in and Frankie was learning how to dive. I threw a t-shirt on over my underwear and jumped in too. Robert wasn't going in as he didn't have his trunks.

We used the underwater camera housing and got some good shots, and Frankie showed off for photo's and video of jumping in. just where they go there are some small rapids that are a good laugh to float down.
We got back to the house and showered, had a fish & salad dinner (Warren had caught the fish).

Saturday 2nd February 2008
Today is Karen's birthday (Happy birthday Karen) I had sent her a card but didn't think it would get there on time, but I got a text from her saying she'd got it. Excellent.

Debbie said there was a good market on in Nelson this morning so we did our 4 hours this afternoon. We never actually got in to the market proper as we cam across a street entertainer called Shirley Miss Sunshine. She was so funny, she got these men up and made them all embarrassed by flirting with them and making them hug each other and doing silly stunts. I was laughing so hard I cried. One of the few times I didn't have my camera with me too!! After that we had to get back to the car before our parking time ran out. We went to the supermarket to get supplies and headed back for lunch.

This evening we got dressed up (well, a bit) and all 4 of us went out for a meal to Arthur Wakefield's, the café/bar that we've been to a couple times this week. We were warmly greeted by Vic and John, the chef, came out to chat. We shared a couple of platter starters which had loads of good stuff on it, and me, Robert and Warren all had the stake which was really good, Debbie had the Snapper. I just had to get a meringue desert but with 4 spoons and we all had some.

When it came to the bill Vic knocked loads off I reckoned by the end he'd knocked off $16, which was really nice of him. Anyway from there, we went to a bar that Debbie used to work in called Star and Garter, they had a couple girls singing and playing guitar so we all had a boogie (even Robert danced one song!) Even though I was up for a drinking session, I just couldn't get drunk, so I sacked it and stopped drinking. No point wasting my money!

We got in about 1 or 2am and fell into bed (I didn't even read my book!)

Sunday 3rd February 2008
Needless to say we had a bit of a lie-in this morning. By the time we'd had breakfast there wasn't any morning left really. We did a few hours work and Debbie went to the supermarket to buy ingredients for Robert to make one of his curries (yum yum). When she got back we all went for a swim in the river. It was rather busy today as a large group had gone to the same spot for a bar-b-q! How rude, we thought.

I had a bit of a panic when I noticed that the water level had risen and the car was sat in a few inches of water, Robert, calm as ever just waded out and moved it.

Eventually we got out and went back, Robert made curry (yum yum), Warren watched TV, I dyed Debbie's hair. We ate the curry (Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!) then cabbaged in front of the TV watching Million Dollar Baby (again) and Casino Royal (again). Fell into bed again without reading(tut tut).

Monday 4th February 2008
Our last working day with Debbie & Warren. We're going to miss them when we go tomorrow. We have, overall, been so lucky with our WWOOFing placements.

I managed to get all the photo's moved from Debbie's old PC to her laptop and saved to DVD too, so I'm really chuffed as that was a big job. I still had an hour to work when Debbie asked if I'd the hour later, so I said ok and did some blogging. When the boys finished we had lunch then we debated whether to chill around the house or go out..... We went out, just up to the third mini golf place we'd found and had a game on it. It was a little hard but Robert got a hole in one on what should've been a really tough hole (jammy git) and he won. We played again, this time left handed and I won, just!

We called at the supermarket to get food for the next few days, then went for a farewell drink at the Wakefield. Vic was as welcoming as ever and we had a good old natter, when I came to pay the bill, he wouldn't let me. How nice is that! John came out from the kitchen and I took a photo of him & Vic together. John said to let him know if we were coming back and he'd arrange it so he could come out for a drink with us.

Back at the house I made spag bol for dinner ( Debbie said it was the best spag bol that a woofer had made them) I also made desert as a treat. We the proceeded to drink as much of the alcohol in the house as possible... actually we had a few cocktails made with what ever they had in the house. Some were a little bit strong but we had a good laugh and chatted loads, until we all started to get sleepy.

We've really enjoyed it here and Debbie & Warren have become friends and I'm sure we'll be seeing them again sometime.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: