Trip Start Jun 11, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  , South Island,
Saturday, February 9, 2008

Up, de-camped and headed for the mini-golf we'd seen, however, we were disappointed to find that it was closed! Oh well, we headed for the Seal colony instead. This was really cool. There's a walk to the cliff edge where there are viewing areas to see local seals living. There are always some there, and depending upon the time of year, there can be loads. When we were there were quite a few with pups. So cute! We watched them for a while, but then a couple of coach's pulled up so we got out of there before the place got too busy.

We drove down the coastal road to Greymouth, which was really pretty and stopped of f just before Punakaiki and did a walk on the Truman Track. It was only 15 mins and took you to a bay where the sea had eroded the surrounding rock so there were big overhangs. We stayed for a while as it was rather peaceful to sit on a rock in the sun with sound of the sea crashing into the bay.

Further down we stopped at Punakaiki to see the Pancake Rocks, This was a really popular tourist stop and had cafes and tourist information on the road opposite the entrance to the walk. This was really well laid out with proper tarmac walkways and viewing areas. It was good though, the rocks have formed in layers which look like a load of pancakes stacked on top of each other. Where they had been eroded away by the sea had left great pools where the water crashed in and threw spray high in the air with a huge booming noise. Awesome!
From there we wanted to find a quiet picnic spot for lunch, but drove passed three as Robert was having a race with the car behind us. Eventually we turned off and waved bye to them as they passed! (boys!).

After lunch we headed straight for Greymouth and the Top 10 site. As we got into the town we took a wrong turn and found a mini-golf! Yay! We stopped and had a game. This was a really nice course, it had just been made by the look of it and all the planting was new. I won by 5 shots har har, and Robert demanded a rematch tomorrow!
At the Top 10 we had a lovely spot where I got to work cooking the rest of the mince off and all the veggies, as we didn't have enough rings to cook everything at once I did it in stages and put the cooked food into tubs for us to warm up later when we were ready to eat. We sat at the picnic table next to the tent and played black jack.

We went up to the kitchen a bit later and plated up our dinner and zapped in the micro-wave. What was left we put in the fridge to eat up tomorrow at the woofing place. After dinner we moved into the TV room to play cards. We started to keep score in a spare note book we had and Robert wiped the floor with me by 10.30pm when they threw us out.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: