Copan, Honduras 24/9 to 25/9

Trip Start Jun 11, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Honduras  ,
Monday, September 24, 2007

On the way to Copan we stopped at a little service station and bought these little pasteries.  We had no idea what they were or even if they were savoury or sweet, we just got them.  They turned out to be chicken and so nice we bought some more!

Copan is a great little town, it has a traditional square at it's centre with the banks one one side.  We actually managed to get $'s on my visa from here (woo hoo).

We jumped onto the mini-bus, after checking into the hotel and getting our cash, amd went to the Copan Mayan Ruins.  This was a good tour, the guide was very enthusiastic and told us lots of stories about the ruins and the history of the families that ruled here.  Unfortunately it turned rapidly into a wet t-shirt contest when the heavens opened and flooded everywhere.  (I think Sophie won).

We got a tuc tuc back to the hotel which was scary but great fun!  Back at the hotel we showered (cold) and dressed through a power cut.  When we got outside to meet up at the allotted time for dinner we found out that everyone (except Kevin the guide) had buggered off to the retaurant early.  We were a bit cheesed that we hadn't been asked but may be they didn't know where we were, it was dark after all.

The restaurant was nice as was the food, we then went to a bar that Ammie told us about called the Red Frog.  It is currently owned by a gut from Calafornia who bought it when he saw it for sale on the internet!  He kept forcing  us to drink shots, yumm!

Got chatting a bit to Sophie then Paula.  Paula and Andrew are married and she is my age , we had a bit in common.  We retired about 10:30pm slightly tippsy.

We got up early (again!) to be on the mini-bus by 6am to travel to Utila.  After about an hour we got into a traffic jam.  It wasn't moving at all so we all wandered up to see what was causing the problem.  A massive land slide!  The heavy rain from last night had dissolved the side of the hill next to the road and there was now a quagmire where there should've been road!

Kevin checked our options.  There was one other road but that too was blocked so the only choice was to wait until diggers were brought in to clear it.  Everyone was actually pretty calm and eventually a JCB turned up, we went to watch.... after about 3 scoops of mud it got a flat tyre and was stranded in the middle of the mud!  Again we waited for more to come.  When they did we saw some spectacular manouvering skills.  The stranded JCB had to be moved.  The flat tyre had been removed and this guy moved the whole thing to the side of the road by using the hydraulics and the digger on the front to crab its way pushing and pulling.  I was impressed!

Eventually there were 4 diggers moving the mud and a pathway through was forged at which point the double lanes of traffic on both sides tried to push through at once causing more havoc!  After about 3 or 4 hours (lost track of time) we were through and on the road again, however, Kevin was worried that we might now miss the last ferry to the Island of Utila....
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: