Cancun, 10 to 18th Sept 2007

Trip Start Jun 11, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Mexico  , Yucatan Peninsula,
Tuesday, September 11, 2007

We had a pleasant flight to Cancun, although Robert had his spanner taken off him (the one he found in the road in Houston) at the airport.  We got the transport ok to the Beach Paradise Hotel our home for 8 nights.  We checked in and unpacked totally, bliss!  the room was great, large double bedroom, lounge area and en-suite.  It had great views over the beach too (unfortunately I canīt put any pictures on!!).

Our first night we met Denise and John at the bar, they are a really nice couple and we spent some time with them here.  We ate twice in the Italian restaurant, which we always found to be really good and the waiter was really nice, twice in the Medditeranian which was only open twice a week (once with D & J and one just us two). This was really nice with "proper" service and courses.  The rest was all buffet or sports snack bar.  As a rule the majority of staff were really nice and friendly however, we had a couple of run ins with staff, I guess mostly due to the fact that they were busy and stressed. (tough weīre on holiday and donīt need the crap!)

We found that the area of the hotel strip was rubbish, everything was totally priced to the tourist, so no bargins to be found here.  We did do a trip "Jungle Adventure" wich was good fun, we went out in a little speedboat, for 2 to a coral reef and snorkled there then came back again.  It was a nice 2 hours and we got the sun a bit as we didnīt use our sun screen till after weīd snorkled so as not to damage the coral. (are you proud of us Nettie?)

We also did (atempted to do) a night dive and a couple of day dives......

We arrived in plenty of time for the night dive and met our guide and DM, Juan and George.  They were really nice and talked us through the dive and what to expect, all very professional.  Good start.  We havenīt done a night dive before and Juan made us all excited about seeing turttles, shark, and lots of life in the reef, whilst drifting past.

We got on the boat and set off,  we were supposed to be in the water by 7.15pm but the captain had trouble finding the marker bouy!  by 8pm it was pitch black and Juan was angry. He told the captain we were abandoning the dive as he felt it was no longer safe.  He explained that he was concernd that if the captain couldnīt find the bouy, hoe the hell would he find us at the end of the drift dive?

The captain refused to turn back and kept looking for the bouy, which he found about 5 min later.  Juan said no.  The captain come down to us and said that we were to dive.  I said no, he said "you are experienced, you dive" I told him that we were experienced enough no to be daft enough to do a dive weīve never done before at night without a guide! He yelled something at Juan then went back up.  We set off again, but still not in the direction of the marina.  I thought shit, weīre being kidnapped now as he wonīt get paid for us not diving!  I had visions of our parents getting ransom notes...

Eventually he managed to find another bouy!  he hung around it for a few mins, then realised we wernīt going to get in, Juan shouted up to the captain and his assistant lent over on punched Juan in the face!  Juan, just about kept his temper and kept us in the middle of the boat.  The captain eventually made his way back to the marina, although we think he wasnīt sure exactly where it was as he went very slowly and approached the shore line a bit too early!

When we got back and the boat was tied up the captains helper jumped off and so did Juan how immediately punched the helper to the floor and proceeded to kick and punch the crap out of him!  This was actually really scary and we had to get out of their way.  The captain and someone else joined in, then Juan produced his divers knife and it calmed down.

We were given a full refund and asked if we would still come back for the day dives?  We said yes as at the end of the day Juan did the right thing by us by not diving in the first place, the rest was kinda unfortunate, and we were assured that the day would have more people and a different boat.

The day dives were good, visability not as good as it couldīve been but still able to see plenty, we both got our weights and bouyance right first time, so we must be improving.  We think Robert had a slight leak on his tank as his air disappeared a lot quicker than mine and weīre usually about the same rate.  We told our guide, George that he was low on air and he brought us to the surface but Robert had to buddy my air for the ascent on both dives as the air went that quickly.  He wasnīt best pleased, but at least we got some good buddy breathing practice.

We ventured into Cancun on our last day to find the bus station so we knew where to go tomorrow and to post some stuff home.  Itīs a bit of a dump and thereīs nothing very close together.  We had a look around the WALMART, woo hoo!


Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: