Portland - 14th to 17th August 2007

Trip Start Jun 11, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Oregon
Wednesday, August 15, 2007

We arrived in Portland about 10pm and walked to the Hostel.  It would've been a nice easy walk without the backpacks, but by the time we got there we were both rather sweaty (nice!).  The hostel is in a lovely residential area and it's fab.  We're in a co-ed dorm and it has Wi-Fi, free bread every day and free pizza every night.  Bargain!
We dumped our bags and had a walk up to a cross-roads where there is a bar / food place on each corner.  We went to the Blue Moon, it's open till 2 am every day and does food too.  I met the barman from hell...  I went to the bar and got a g&t and a larger, $6.40. (Bargain!) Gave him $10 and he walked off without giving me any change!  After being ripped off $30 in bank charges for cashing my travelers cheques earlier today I really wasn't going to let this slide (even though I would've left $2 tip so was only out by about 50p - it was the principal).  I waited for ages before he looked at me again, I asked how much this round was and in that case could I have my change, which he got eventually and threw onto the bar in front of me.  When I then tried to get his attention to give him the tip (just proving a point) he resolutely ignored me, so I kept the tip!
Robert thought I'd got lost and was relieved when I got back with his pint, and he complained about the bar man.  It turns out it's his last night tonight and he's really playing up! At least it means we can go back tomorrow as the place and other staff were great.
We wandered back to the hostel, where I had to make some calls to UK to sort out bills and stuff then off to be about 2am.
I awoke about 10am and got up and tried ring a few people but seem to get everyone's answer machines.  Louise give me a call or an e-mail, let me know you're alive!  Then I found a quiet spot and did the expenses.  We've been away 2 months now and to date have spent almost 7 grand!!!  I really hope things are a lot cheaper in Central and South America!!!
Cathe rang us, which was really good; she took the usual proverbial out of Robert (always a sure way to make me laugh!).  We spent the rest of the day and evening forward planning and booking our trip from Portland to LA.  Then went up to the local busy area again for food.  The first place we tried was called "Gypsies"if you ever go ensure that you're there about an hour before you actually get hungry!  We waited at the entrance, a waiter walked passed us and when WE asked HIM if we could sit anywhere he said to grab a menu and someone would come over to us, but it was said in a very off-hand manner, even one of the other customers come over and said he was out of order!  We sat for 10 mins with no-one even looking our way, another couple came in and left after 5 mins, we got up and left soon after, Shocking!  We crossed the street to Muu Muus, this was a busy place and only had 1 person behind the bar and another serving the room, the music was just a little to loud for eating and the lighting just a little too dark to see what you were eating but the food was good and the waiter pleasant.  It wasn't badly priced either, $33 (16 quid) for 2 mains, 2 beers and a glass wine.
It was now about 11pm so we headed back to the hostel and to bed.  We are planning to get out and do more tomorrow.  We need to see this city....
After a shower and some free toast with bought from the hostel cream cheese and coffee, we did a bit more on the internet to see if it was worth getting another discovery pass or paying as we go for the greyhound.  It worked out a lot cheaper to pay as we go.  Then we walked to the free tram and got it to the bottom of downtown where the STA travel office is.  We need to change our flights from LA to Mexico.  We were supposed to fly on the 29th August but want to move it to the 6 / 7th September.  Unfortunately as we booked the tickets at STA in the UK, they couldn't change it.  We had to walk to the library to send an e-mail to STA UK asking them to change the tickets, we find out in 24 hours!!!
Our next job was the post-office.  I checked what it would cost to send my Harry Potter book home.  It would be $20, I think I could just buy it again when we got back for about this (or less) so I'm going to read it again, after I've finished "wicked"by Jilly Cooper, then swap it at a hostel.  We sent some receipts and maps to keep as souviners and a book we bought for Roberts dad in victoria home.
Jobs done (for now) we finally got back on the tourist track.  Rob had seen a leaflet for an exhibition he fancied so we went to the OMSI (Oregon Museum for Science and Industry) the exhibition was "Body Worlds" this is the display of bodies and body-parts which have been treated with plastination.  I mean real human bodies, they were left to medical science for educational use.  It was  really facinating if more than a little grusome.  We were there for nearly 2 hours.  Then saw a short film about the human body in the OMNIMAX, which is an IMAX theater but bigger, it has a huge domed screen which goes right above your head and past the left and right views when looking straight ahead.  It was preaty cool.
We had a walk back over the bridge to our side of the river (NW) and had dinner in an Italian restaurant called La Terrazza.  The food was really good and our waitress a star.  We made our way back to the hostel and replied to e-mails and did some blog stuff (woo hoo!)  The following morning we got up had toast and hiked it to the greyhound.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: