Washington D.C. 22 to 23rd June 2007

Trip Start Jun 11, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  ,
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

We arrived about mid-day.  Whilst on the bus I'd read in the lonely planet that this hostel (Student International) did pick-ups from the bus, so I rang them.  The guy who did the pick-ups wasn't there but they said get a cab and they'll refund upto $12 (fair enough) the thing was that he checked which address I had and as they had a fire last year and my guide book is a couple years old, I had the wrong address! could have been very frustrating!
Anyway got there.. we wondered if we were in the wrong place.  The outside looked rather seedy.. inside wasn't too bad though, fairly clean.  Unfortunately there were about 30 beds on our floor and one bathroom! (go figure) there was another one downstairs but still, 2 bathrooms to 30 plus people! not good.
The owner was, how shall I say, not nice (trying not to be rude here!) he had 4 young Russian girls working for him and let's say I wouldn't be happy to think my daughters were in his employ, he was also rather unhelpful.  Everytime you asked him a question he would give you a crap answer or tell you to look it up! He tried to get us to share a bunk bed because they'd overbooked by 8 people! to be fair he was only going to charge for one person (tempting to save some money) but we said no as it was just too hot to sleep in such a small bed together.
We dumped our gear and found the underground into D.C. we walked the Mall and went to the Natural History Museum (it's free!) and spent ages in there.  Zoe, if you're still into crystals, you need to go here if you ever get the chance (see pics) they have a fab crystal & gems room.  The mammal room freaked me out a bit, loads of stuffed animals!! There was a really cool photo competition winners display.  We took photo's of the photo's.
I wanted to go to the International Spy Museum, but it cost a bit to get in (we have since been speaking to Danny and Frances in Philli who said it was really good! bugger).
On the way back we got off the underground on 14th and Irving.  just up from here is a really nice busy area.  Rob bought a US sim card for his phone and we bought food and booze to take back, can you believe, Rob got asked for ID! (don't mention it though, his heads big enough about it just now :-) ). We thought we'd just eat, have a couple drinks and go to bed.. however we met John, Emma and Corwin and had a fab night chatting to them to the early hours.  John was from Essex (he can't help it! :-) hi John! ) so Rob and him immediately started taking the p1ss and talking footy!!!
The following day we got up late (lovely!) and went back into the city.  Rob was starting with my cold (you know I like to share!).  We walked to the White House, saw it from the outside, took a picture then went for something to eat.  Rob had a quick hot-dog from a stand as he was feeling sick and needed to eat, now!  Then we found a food hall and got kebabs ( I know...) but they were really nice! I'm afraid this was when Man-flu really kicked in and we had to go back to the hostel (via the booze shop- medicinal purposes!) Rob went to bed for a couple hours and I watched movies.  The Italian Job (new one), Assult on Precinct 13 (the new one) and we both watched Matrix Reloaded. Rob did share his beers, and I forgot to eat the small tub of Hagen Das I bought (left in the freezer) but I did manage to drink a bottle of wine (it would've been rude to waste it!) Then bed.
Up bright and early, 7am, to finish packing and get a taxi to the greyhound... Philadelphia next stop!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: