Houston, we've got a problem, not!

Trip Start Oct 04, 2008
Trip End Nov 08, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
The Hallmark

Flag of United States  , Texas
Sunday, October 26, 2008

Houston & San Antonio
On the 15th we arrived in a cloudy Houston. First impressions, Crazy traffic! 12 Lane Highways and lots of exits. We had a general idea where to go and some basic directions. Took us a while to get to our destination but after asking a UPS mail dude we made it. Mike (Phil's former boss) was so kind to let us stay in a apartment of one of his relatives. It was in a retirement home, so we felt slightly out of place. We set up camp in the living room and then headed out to the Galleria. An enormous shopping mall, we actually managed to get lost in the mall. After following my gut instinct trying to find a way out we decided that if I think it's left it is usually actually right and vice versa!
We made our way out and went to local Mexican restaurant. Had two pitchers of margarita's (in our defense, they were really weak!!) and some really good food. Made our way back to the apartment and called it a day.
Next day we decided to follow Tracy's advice and explore Houston. We took a cab to Rice Village, very nice shops and restaurants but probably better to explore during the night. So we then spent the next hour trying to get a cab again, not the best area to get one. So we ended up walking towards some main streets where we could find one. During this experience we figured out Houston is not a very pedestrian city, you instantly feel like a hobo when you are walking here. We managed to get a cab and made our way to downtown Houston. There were still some results from the hurricane visible with some office building that where boarded up completely on one side. From downtown we took a cab back to the apartment and chilled for a bit. Around 10 we went to Mai's (thanks for the tip Trace!) where we had some great Vietnamese food. After that I didn't feel to good so we went back to the apartment. I then spent the rest of the evening being really sick. I think it was food poisoning from lunch earlier that day.
Next day, after sleeping in for a while we decided to go through to San Antonio. I got in the car, popped some Advil's and passed out for the next two hours.  Woke up a lot closer to San Antonio and feeling a lot better. We found a motel and spent the rest of the evening there.  Ordered some Chinese food and soup for me. Had a great night of sleep and woke feeling great and very hungry. We went to the River Walk found a nice restaurant there where I worked down a delicious Bison Burger. We then walked around the River Walk for a bit and then went to the Alamo. We decided not to go inside, cause there was a really long line and it looked a bit over rated anyway. We did walk around the grounds and read about the history of the Alamo. We then jumped in the Lincoln again (which still works great!) and headed out for Austin & Round Rock. We'll write about that in our next entry.
Till then!
Krautz & Klompjes
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: