Escapade to Monterey!

Trip Start Oct 06, 2009
Trip End Oct 10, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Monterey Municipal Marina

Flag of United States  , California
Thursday, October 8, 2009

We finally left Half Moon Bay!!  That is a major jump towards getting our trip actually started!  We spent nearly a month there and that was a few weeks too long.   We left HMB at 2pm on Tuesday and set out for Monterey.  the first 12 hours were perfect.  We had enough wind to keep moving, but not enough to make the seas rough.  We got Mr. Roboto (that's what I call the self-steering gear) set up about an hour into the trip and he kept the boat going in the right direction for the next 11 hours!  It was wonderful that way all we had to do was keep a look out for any other traffic, but we didn't have to sit and steer the whole time.  At about 2 in the morning the wind just stopped. I took the 2am to 5am watch and I think we traveled about 2  miles- and that was all due to the current.  we had to stop using Mr. Roboto then because he doesn't like to steer any more than I do in light air.  But pretty much between 2 and 5 I had a dance party in the cockpit!  Basically it was the only way to keep me away.  But I did get to watch a cruise ship cruise (haha) by.  That was a moral booster - watching a huge, comfy, warm ship were someone else took care of the navigation while you slept cruise by.  I almost for a fleeting moment while I was freezing at 3am thought about jumping ship.  but I didn't think i would be able to row or swim fast enough to keep up.  But by 5 am Kevin woke up to take his shift, at which point we just turned on the engine and motored the rest of the way in.  We pulled into our slip at around 12:30 in the afternoon!
    It was a beautiful day when we got in nice and sunny and warm!  Kevin checked us in with the harbormaster and got us keys!  We paid for 3 nights and I'm pretty sure i'm going to take a shower about 6 times a day for the next four days.  I'm really excited about it!  After we got the boat put away that was the first thing either one of us did was go shower.  After we were both clean and smelling good, although we were both REALLY tired, we decided that food trumped sleep so we set out to find a pizza place.  the harbor master gave us a suggestion for "the best pizza joint." After walking 15-20 minuets to find the joint it didn't open until 3:30 (it was only 3pm)  We both decided it wasn't worth it to wait so we back tracked to another pizza joint we saw on the way.  Pelican PIzza didn't look like much from the outside.  There were maybe 4 tables, two on either side of the door and that was about it.  but the pizza was actually fantasict (it could have been that we were so hungry) but either way it hit the spot
    When we were finished eating we just walked slowly back towards the boat.  We took a detour down Cannery row and along the waterfront.  It was such a beautiful day and we needed to walk off the pizza so it was a nice walk home.  We walked down fishermans wharf and saw a restaurant that was serving 3 dollar margaritas.  I was really tempted to get one, but we were still too full.  We thought that maybe we would come back later that night and get one.  Well that didn't happen because by the time I got back to the boat i was so tired that I could barly even focus.  So we just went to sleep early!  I alreay think I like this place more than any place we have stopped so far (well its up there with Redwood City.)
    We have two more full days in Monterey so we will have plenty of time for sight seeing!  and boat work! 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: