Dallas & Austin (Days 7, 8, 9)

Trip Start Apr 04, 2010
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
aunt jorji's (hurst, tx)
aunt cynthia's (carrollton, tx)
kristin and matt's (austin, tx)

Flag of United States  , Texas
Monday, April 12, 2010

              Following a pain induced middle of the night mattress move to the floor (Carlsbad, NM), Kirstin and I awoke to the sun soaked living room at Laura's house.  Our departure, like so many on our trip, came about days early, with heartfelt good-byes and hopeful wishes to be together again soon. 
                Our drive on to Fort Worth, Texas took about nine hours, it just seemed like twelve. Without the passing of time offered by the geographical distinctions offered by our drive thus far, my delight  was comprised of intermittent dodging, and then running over of rolling tumbleweeds.  Driving fast had lost its appeal, driving slow was only fun to elicit the one finger greeting from other people in a hurry to get somewhere else and I was left to entertain myself without the benefit of landscape of any distinction and no music that would leave me at all inspired to continue living..  Needless to say, it was far too long a drive.
                Once in Fort Worth, with some help from  the directions provided by AAA, we found Kirstin’s aunt Jorji’s house.  Upon our arrival she exclaimed " Oh look, it’s the Beverly Hillbillies."  With our car packed as it is, the bicycles hanging off the trunk  and the weariness of the road, undoubtedly, showing on our faces we must have been quite a site.  It goes without saying that the blissful nights rest and a hearty breakfast provided by Jorji was much appreciated. 
                The next day we visited with Kirstin’s sister Wendy and her kids Chaidon and Madison.  During our conversation at the restaurant the kids mentioned the brightly embellished candy store across the street and I immediately felt the weight of my new responsibility as their uncle to take them away and get them thoroughly wired on sugar before leaving them in the capable hands of their parent once again.  Mission accomplished…   What can I say..  I’m a man of service.
                After candying the kids I left my phone on top of the car and it came off on the freeway to be retrieved after some skillful “frogger” moves.  Then we met up with Kirstin’s Uncle Todd for intriguing conversation over some of Starbucks best brew and went to her aunt Cynthia’s for dinner and drinks into the small hours of the morning.  The waking up came too early and with some last minute preparations we were once again on our way.
                This time it was to Austin, TX.  The drive was, expectedly devoid of much to look at besides the other cars and the smiling faces within.  Once in Austin, we met up with our friend Constance and over drinks on her patio, got caught up on what she’s been up to recently and traded stories about our favorite little island paradise, Utila.  After a bit, we headed off to dinner with Kirstin’s old college roommate Kristin and her husband Matt.  Watching the valet’s eyes when we stopped for him to take our car…priceless…  We stayed the night at Kristin and Matt’s house and woke up before dawn for; guess what, more driving…
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: