A Very Early Start for a Very Long Day

Trip Start May 19, 2010
Trip End May 24, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , California
Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My daughter and I stayed up instead of going to bed. We left the house at 2:00 AM and arrived at the school before 2:30 AM. Everyone was hovering around the buses, which were the coach type and not school buses thankfully. We waited around, took pictures, and everyone was very excited.

The Principal started handing out the name badges after we got the luggage in the bottom compartments of the two buses. We said goodbye to the boys and the dog. Then, it was time for the adults to board and the kids followed.

I figured DD would sit with her friends, but she came to the back and sat with me. There were 33 people on our bus--a number we would hear over and over, every time we did a head count.

We waited until almost 3:00 AM before we left for the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) because there were two people missing. Turns out they decided to meet us at the airport. It only took an hour to get to LAX; it helps when no one is on the road.

We got off the bus, and I was last, so I had to make sure no one left anything behind. We got our luggage and lined up at the U.S. Airways ticket counter. I'm not sure how, but DD and I were towards the front of the line there. We had to wait until 4:30 AM for the counter to open up.

We checked in, but were not seated together. When I asked about it, the lady switched my seat to the same row as DD--me in the aisle, a person between us, and DD at the window. She said we could switch once we were on the plane. I don't know why they didn't have it figured out so family members could sit next to each other.

We took our shared suitcase to the drop-off area, made a quick pee-pee run, then got in line for security, which was somewhat like a Disney queue--just when you think you're close, there's another part of the line.

It was a different security area than I was used to since it was for U.S. Airways. I didn't even know they were still an airline! DD and I were the first through security and to our gate. Hot Tip: wear slip-on shoes people! Almost everyone else wore tennis shoes. Plus there were quite a few first-timers.

DD and I ate our bagels and cream cheese that she had made for us. I also nibbled on my candied pecans a friend had made me for my birthday (it was yesterday). So yummy.

We boarded on time, as a group, after the First Class people. It was funny to hear them announce that they were going to board a group of "children." Didn't seem quite right. We departed at 6:25 AM.

The kid between us moved to another seat, so we had an empty seat there most of the flight. Traveling with a bunch of 8th graders is quite interesting. They're kind of like big toddlers. Some interesting things I heard them say:

"Can they even X-ray through that? It's plastic." --talking about a hard-case suitcase
"I'm going to take off in style" --kid thinking he was going to take off with his seat all the way back.


Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: