Lots of Goodbyes

Trip Start Jun 03, 2013
Trip End Aug 25, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Ada and I were going to go to the Summer Palace today, but she had a lot of things to do, and I was exhausted. I had stayed up late talking to Tania; she left to go home to Latvia today for two weeks. We talked until 1:30 a.m. last night, and then she was up another half hour finishing packing. Chitz came by at about 8:00 a.m. They were going to the airport together. I said goodbye to both of them, then went to class at 8:30.

After class I took a long nap.

Modou (he is from Senegal) came by. His and Manuel's (Manuel is from Mexico) bags are being stored in my room. I don't know why they can't stay in the dorm anymore. There's hardly anyone here, but Chitz, Modou, and Manuel stayed with Scott a couple of nights and now they're at a hostel. Modou told me about living on the seaside in Senegal and that he wants to live in Miami some day. He's really, really tall--which comes in handy since he is a professional basketball player.

Scott came by to get some things that Tania had left for him, plus I had some things that Sarah had borrowed from him. Cathy had just returned from her camp in Inner Mongolia. She said it was even better than her other camp. She was just getting the rest of her things, then heading to the train station. Scott and I decided to go get dinner, so we said goodbye to Cathy.

First, though, Scott told me about a free trip to Yesanpo this weekend. It was advertized on thebeijinger.com. Apparently, a lot of places will "hire" foreigners to come to their area to promote it for tourism. Sometimes, the trip is free plus you can get paid. This trip is just free, but, hey...how awesome is that?

Since I couldn't get onto the internet with my computer (and Tania's computer isn't working properly), we went to Scott's to send my info to Amy, the contact person for the trip. The uncertain thing about the trip was that they had three remaining spots and Scott had already told Modou and Manuel about it, but they hadn't been able to get a hold of Manuel. We were thinking that Manuel would probably not go, but basically he had dibs.

After I sent my info to Amy, I looked at an ESL PowerPoint Scott was working on for one of his classes to help with some ideas. Then we left for dinner.

We were going to go to a Hunnan restaurant, but it was too crowded. We ended up at the Korean restaurant I had eaten at not too long ago. I had the same thing I had last time (sliced pork with kimchi and rice). Scott decided to try it too. This time, though, I didn't make the mistake of ordering hot tea instead of cold tea!

From there we walked around the other restaurants because Scott had not really been down there. We stopped at a more glitzy place, Zero Restaurant, and had some hot green tea and blueberry sorbet-type stuff for dessert. We had a lot of fun taking pictures of the funny translations in the menu.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: