Showers All Around

Trip Start Jun 03, 2013
Trip End Aug 25, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Monday, July 15, 2013

I am waiting for dinner. It is only 4:41 pm, but I found out yesterday that I need to get to dinner early, or all the choices and most of the food will be gone. It seems way too early to eat, but I'm going to have to adjust to this schedule. I've got lunch down (it is from 11:30 to 12:30). Finishing my lesson at 11:30 today was perfect to come back to my room, drop off my things, and get down to the cafeteria. There were 5 or so choices. It was quite good. One was a strange concoction of stewed tomatoes and egg; it had a sweet flavor and really good. The other was a more typical dish of meat and veg. Then there was the rice. I finished it all. I was back in my room by noon.

I got to talk to my family today. It was so nice. Ada sent them an email to let them know I'm ok. Rob and I played phone tag, but we finally connected after lunch. We talked for almost 30 minutes. Can't wait to see the phone bill! I really miss them though and was relieved to talk to them and tell them about everything I could. It was also good to hear that Harris got through his wisdom teeth removal with no problems and that Hunter was a great nurse.

After that I worked on my Chinese on my iPod for a bit, then took a nap. My roommate came back with a young boy who's going to go with her to her destination. They both took a nap as well. We all woke up at about 4:00. Jenny got packed up and then they left. It was sad to see her go, even though we only knew each other for a short time. We had fun last night taking pictures together, and she's going to email me. We helped each other with our languages, but she helped me more than I helped her. Her English is better than my Chinese. She has such a warm and cute personality.

It has rained all day today. It's very humid, but at least not so hot. In the stairwell, you can feel a cool breeze. It's rather refreshing. I like the rain. My shoes got soaked walking across the basketball court to the classroom building this morning though. I'm glad I brought an umbrella. Outside my window, I can see the people waiting in line at the Outpatient the rain. This morning it was really many people, so much rain. I felt sorry for them.

It's time to get ready to go downstairs for dinner. More later...

Just had dinner. They had an interesting array of choices, different than at lunch. This time I had bean sprouts and what looked like apple pie filling, and the constant companion of rice. I just wanted something light so this fit the bill. I was a bit disappointed in the apple pie filling though, because, well, it wasn't. It was not apples, and it wasn't sweet. It looked just like it though. It was tasty, once my tastebuds got over the idea of it NOT being baked cinnamon apples.

It's time for me to take a shower. I'm totally avoiding it. It scares me. This is going to take some planning...

I gathered all my shower stuff, along with Tania's bathing bowl and went to the shower room. I hung my towel and clothes on the door; there was nowhere else to hang them. There's a box by the faucet, so I touched my card to it, like I do for my meals. It flashed numbers. I turned on the water. The pipes made gurgling sounds, but nothing came out. Hmmm. I tried again and again. Switching between turning on the water first, then touching my card to the machine and vice versa.

I stood there for awhile, frustrated. I decided to get help. I went in the hall, wrapped in my towel, and asked the girls sitting on the floor playing a trivia game if someone could help me with the shower. They were very responsive. That's one thing I've found; everyone was new here once and is very willing to help out a noob. One of the girls went back in with me and inserted my card into the machine and waved her hand over the machine. you INSERT the card. Well, it still didn't work for her, so I had to move to a different shower stall, but at least I knew how to turn the darn thing on now.

I went to a few different shower stalls before I found one that was relatively acceptable. The others were so grimey and smelled. I took my shower as quickly as possible, using water collected in the bath bowl to rinse off with also. It cost 1.30 RMB. I'm going to see if I can be quicker next time, just to challenge myself.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sharon on

You are sooooo brave !!! :)

kitkatgo on

LOL...never a dull moment, that's for sure!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: