So much for our family being together...

Trip Start Aug 10, 2012
Trip End Aug 16, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
The Westin Los Angeles Airport
Read my review - 5/5 stars

Flag of United States  , California
Friday, August 10, 2012

We got up at the crack of dawn. My husband (DH, from now on) alerted us immediately that our flight had already been delayed. Not a good sign. Although, a few extra zzzzz's were handy.

DH, our son (DS, from now on), and I got on the road and arrived at LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) without major incident. However, as soon as we started dealing with United Airlines, things went downhill from there.

The line to check in was moderate, not bad really. I hadn't flown United in quite some time. Once we got up to the counter, we were directed to a self check-in computer. Wah? So DH starts checking us in, putting in our reservation number, swiping passports, etc. When he finished, no boarding passes came out; the computer said we had to see an agent. WTF! Mind you, we had checked in last night online also.

So this non-United dude comes over to help us. He gets part of our boarding passes out and checks one bag. Then something happens and he can't get the rest to work. So he goes down the way to another station with my husband. DS and I stay...for awhile. Then we get called over. I grabbed our things and looked on the counter to see if we left anything. I saw a baggage tag, but figured it wasn't ours. This will haunt us later...

So then there's a problem because it says we need to pay for the other bag (but we have already paid--we have the receipt with us). A United lady comes and fixes things. What a pain.

We went through security, then to our gate. We keep checking the flight screens and ours says "awaiting aircraft." The time of departure gets later and later. Our connecting flight is looking more and more impossible. DH had heard something about a strike, but United will tell us it was the weather.

So, we stand in the "customer service" (I use that term lightly) line for two hours with a million other people who have delayed or cancelled flights. While in line, they pass out little papers with an 800# on it so people can call it to get help with flight information/changes. Many people complain that when they call, they're told to just see an agent! DH is on the phone with them and kind of works something out. I don't like it though. He's still on the phone with them when we get to the front of the line. We let a couple of people pass until he finishes the call.

When we go up, we have to go through the whole thing with the agent. I got the impression he's new. So, the only thing we could do is have my husband take a late flight to Newark, NJ, then from there he'd get to Quebec City in the morning. DS and I would have to wait until the next morning to basically take the same set of flights we were all supposed to take today. URRRRrrrghhhhhh. Either that, or we all go on Sunday. Our daughter (DD) was finishing three weeks of a French immersion program the next day...we kinda needed to get there ASAP. So we opted for choice #1.

DH asked for some food vouchers, but I butted in and said, "Forget the food vouchers! I want a hotel voucher for my son and I." Well, of course, the agent could not authorize that. "Well, who CAN authorize it?" "A supervisor." So he calls for a supervisor.

Ana, the supervisor comes finally, and turns out she's the ONLY supervisor on duty. I told her they are doing her a disservice as well as the rest of us [on a day like today]. I was nice to her; she was nice to me. She set forth in motion for us to get a hotel voucher. She also gave us $60 in food vouchers, and had DH's boarding passes printed out. This all took another two hours.

DS and I had an early dinner with DH before we took the shuttle to the Westin LAX. Poor DH had to be at the airport for over 12 hours. DS and I got checked in at the hotel. The guy at the reception was so kind, and it was so refreshing after all the craziness at the airport. He gave us toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. since our luggage was now in nowhereland.

The two of us watched a little of the Olympics and several episodes of Storage Wars. Since we haven't had TV at home for about four years now, it's fun to watch when we get the chance. It was relaxing. I really wanted to shower, but without my makeup, etc., that just wouldn't work. Without pajamas, I ended up sleeping in the robe provided. I wouldn't suggest's a little lumpy.

DH's flight to Newark was delayed with four gate changes, but he finally got out of LA. He slept on the plane while DS and I slept in our Westin beds.

What a day.
Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: