A Gorgeous Day and a Bar Fight at Night

Trip Start Feb 24, 2010
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of France  , Midi-Pyrénées,
Saturday, May 28, 2011

I woke up early. Too early. 6:30 am. Non. Way. I went back to sleep. I got up at 9. I got dressed and went downstairs to eat breakfast in the hotel. I had a banana, some dates, a mini pain au chocolat, 2 mini donuts, and tea. I took my time, relaxed, and played on the computer for awhile.

Afterwards, I showered and walked to the Hotel de Ville hoping to enjoy the antiques market, but some fliers were up saying that it would be next weekend. I don't know if it's always on the first Saturday of the month, or if it changes. Hopefully on a future trip, it will be going when I'm there.

I walked around and took pictures of whatever struck my fancy, just enjoying the beautiful weather and clear blue sky. I walked by St. Augustine's, and they were having some sort of exposition of Indian items. I thought about going in, but i didn't.

St. Augustine's is just down the block from my house, so I went there next. I didn't go inside, but i took some detailed photos of the exterior. The old gentleman who lives next door saw me from his window and started talking to me. For some reason he doesn't ever figure out that I have no clue what he's saying.

The next door neighbor on the other side had put a big chain and padlock on our marcillac door (that goes into the garage, in front of the cave). The architect told me there had been people in the house or something so he put the lock on there to keep them out. Way to go neighbor!
I walked past the train station up the hill. I saw a sign for antiques and brocante--cool. Up, up, up. When I got to the top and found the pretty little store, it was closed. It would open in another hour and a half. I decided to have lunch and then I would decide if I wanted to walk back up there.

I decided to eat at Caesaree which is right across from the train station. I had a choice between two lunches. I chose Moules Frites. The French fries were great. The mussels pretty good. It came with dessert, and I chose apple clafoutis which was quite good. I was entertained by watching people gather for what I can only imagine was going to be a boules tournament. There was a woman who put on a name label; I'm thinking she was going to be some sort of judge. The rest were men, and they came armed with their own boules kit--although I'm not really sure what that consists of. They were all drinking and gearing up for the match.

When I finished, I went into the train station to check on the train schedule to Toulouse. I most definitely did NOT want any part of a bus tomorrow. There were quite a few departures that included a "car" (bus, in other words). I'm amazed that I had never come across this whole "car" business before. Anyway, my choices for tomorrow sans bus: 10:52 am or 2:52 pm. (I'm thinking 2:52 sounds good.)

From there I went to La Passiflore for one last tea. I always have the Earl Grey French Blue. I got my window table and looked at several decorating magazines. I talked to the owner a little. I like talking to her; she is very patient with me and helps me with my French. And she has the BEST tea. :)

I went back to my room and just relaxed. Eventually, I wanted a little something for dinner. I thought I'd get some fruit or a small sandwich at the little grocery store down the street. However, once I walked down there, I saw that they were closed. Dang! I walked to the center square and looked at a restaurant there (Dali's), but it didn't do it for me. Then I walked towards La Poste and decided on La Majestica Creperie. I ordered a salad with walnuts and goat cheese and a crepe marron (chestnut). Meal total= €7.60.

Towards the end of my meal, two doors down at Bar Le Prestat, things started to heat up between a couple of the patrons. One went back inside, the other was being placated by a level-headed looking girl. There was still a lot of talk and different guys running around. The Tunisien chef at La Monistir next door (in between La Majestica and Le Prestat) was even getting involved since there were no patrons at his restaurant. He was trying to keep things calm.

Eventually, both guys were back out front, then they took it down the side street. There was more loud talking for awhile, then next thing I knew I heard it turn physical. Some of the guys ran from the side street to the bar and said (in French) call the police! After that, the bar closed up. I saw a couple of guys getting napkins to take (I assume) to bleeding fighters.

As I was leaving, I looked down the side street. The Tunisien Chef and someone else was holding napkins to one guy's head who was sitting on a door stoop. The others were further down the street, and I couldn't really see much. The police pulled up right behind me. That was quite the ending to my last night in VdR...

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: