Ready for the transatlantic haul...

Trip Start Feb 24, 2010
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
On the plane...

Flag of United States  , New York
Monday, May 3, 2010

We debarked at Gate 42, and I had to go to Gate 43 for my next flight. That was pretty painless.

All I had eaten all day were two almond bars, so I was hungry. First, I went to the Soho Bistro, a sit down restaurant. I looked at the menu, but there was nothing that interested me; the options were big meals--just too much food.

So I left and walked down to the New York Deli and got a toasted sesame bagel with cream cheese and a Diet Lemon Snapple. Perfect!

I sat at our gate, munching on my bagel, and eavesdropping on French conversations. Or at least I tried to. I wasn't able to decipher a whole lot.

We were supposed to leave at 5:25 PM. We boarded nearly on time, but they had announced that construction at the airport might delay our departure. OK, great.

I got in my seat, 12J, looked around and realized, OMG, no entertainment systems. Crap, it's a 767! I hate 767s, but that's what ya get when you travel on reward miles I guess--no straight shots, and NO 777s.

People were filling the seats around me. In fact, it seemed pretty full when I got in my seat, because I boarded towards the end. I began to think, one is going to sit next to me. Could I possibly get *that* lucky? No, no way. I'd start to daydream about stretching out on both seats and someone would walk towards my aisle, startling me back to reality. But then they would keep going.

Finally, the doors closed. My feet went up into that other seat so fast. HEAVEN! That other seat was MINE...mine, mine, mine, mine. In my head, I was sounding like the seagulls in "Finding Nemo." I fell asleep immediately. When I woke up, we still hadn't left the gate! We didn't leave the gate for 90 minutes.

The sunset was beautiful out the window, and I could see The City, hazy though it was.

I slept blissfully, stretched across my two seats. Then we hit some really bad turbulence. The French chick behind me actually screamed and was saying some sort of prayer. All I did was sit up a little so I wouldn't hit my head on the wall.

Unfortunately, the turbulence came at a bad time...a lot of the food hit the floor because they were just starting to prepare for meal service. So the flight crew had to clean it up before we could be served. We were told there may or may not be enough for everyone.

The lady across the aisle from me was traveling with a 6-year old who slept the entire flight. She asked for the girl's food, which the mom ate in addition to her own! Why would she do that when other people might not get any? The girl didn't care, she was asleep...and they had brought snacks for her anyway (she never once ate anything after we took off--just snacks while we waited at the gate). Some people...

The food was cold and disgusting, but it was better than nothing. After that I slept for the rest of the flight until just before we arrived in Paris the next morning.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: