London, England...Three Visits (World)
Trip Start Unknown
77Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
It's interesting in this book, she has very, very specific places (a particular restaurant for instance), then she goes and puts in "London" as one of the 1,000 places. Wow. Well, yes, I've been to London. Three times (Dec 2005, May 2006 & Feb 2007--If you want to look at my travelogues for those trips). It's a wonderful place. Don't like the exchange rate much. But other than that, it's fantastic.
Within the section on "London," the author lists "The Top Ten Sights." Of those, I have visited the following:
1) The British Museum--wonderful place!;
2) the outside of Buckingham Palace which is quite pretty, especially the golden-laced gates
3) National Gallery--I went there twice. I loved that it was free and had such wonderful treats for the eye;
4) Tower of London--a really cool place with so much history. The place was built over the years, so it spans the ages. The crown jewels were quite fun to see too;
5) Victoria & Albert Museum--another great, free museum. I have been to this one twice also, and haven't come close to seeing it all. You could spend days here.
6) Westminster Abbey--walked around and took pictures, did not go inside.
She also lists "Other Must-Do's":
1) A Night at the Theater--I have to agree that the theater in London is fantastic. I have seen Chicago, Mary Poppins (with the kids), and Spamalot. All were wonderful. I think especially meaningful were Mary Poppins and Spamalot...you can't beat seeing those two in London!
2) An Evening of Music--The author doesn't list the Royal Opera House, but surely that must count
3) Shopping--There is Harrod's, Piccadilly Circus, Covent Garden, some lovely shops in Kensington.
The author doesn't talk about pubs (uh hello?) which I think is quintessential. We have found a couple we like very much, The Clarence near Trafalgar Square, and the Hereford Arms in Kensington. Both are old and charming with beamed ceilings and friendly service, and, of course, good food and grog. :)
So, I think we have done pretty well on our visits to jolly ol' London!