Reception Day

Trip Start Dec 08, 2008
Trip End Dec 24, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of India  , Haryana,
Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Since I got sick right after returning from the wedding, I was totally out for the rest of yesterday and most of today. We had originally planned to get up in the morning to go out to see these temples in town. The place is called Chattapur I think, and the story that was told to me is that one of the very large and very wealth families in India was told by a holy man that their family must keep building temples.... like continuously... or they will loose all their wealth and stature. So I'm told that there isn't a day that goes by when somebody isn't building some kind of temple in this place. I don't know if the family actually needs a family member physically working on the building, or if they can outsource (hey, this is India!) the work to other people and just pay for it. Either way, you drive by this place and there are towering stone temples on both sides of you and the complex seems to go on and on. And since it's completely free, and a bit of a tourist spot, you can be sure it's full of people trying to sell stuff.

But.... there was no way I was going to be able to go out at 10am, or even 11am really. My body was still dealing with the aftereffects of whatever hit me yesterday, so I ended up sleeping most of the day.

Partway through the day, my phone rings, Rebecca answers it, and it's Devika!! And she's in India! (a day early) It turns out her flight was a day earlier than she originally thought it was. So she got here a day early, and called us up to let us know. That also meant that she could make it to the reception tonight.

Rebecca and I rest and chill the whole day... I have a couple of small meals that mostly consist of local remedies for people who have turned stomachs. Not the most tasty thing, but body kept it down, so maybe it works?

After repeated schedulings, we finally get the driver to come in the evening. Then he takes us back to FabIndia where we went our very first night. The goal is to find some more of the super-comfortable clothing to travel in. Mostly for me, as I've been lounging around in this cotton kurta for a couple of days and it's pretty nice. A long drive back to Delhi and we eventually find the store. We do quite of a bit of shopping and trying on, but only walk out with a couple of things. I'm a little woozy by that point, so we get in the car and make it back to Devia's house without incident. We run upstairs and say our hellos with woozy hugs (me from post sickness and Devika from jet-lag) and many greetings. The house is suddenly teeming with activity and business, and Gokul is back as well. So there is all the domestic help, and Poonam, helping with the new bed and breakfast business, and Bindu, and Devika and Gokul and Bugsy, their old dog.... They are all just buzzing around doing this, that and the other. It's kinda crazy, but also very fun.

Rebecca and I go downstairs to drop off our formals from the wedding and dress for the reception. Devika dresses up for the reception as well, in an antique salwar that her mother got married in. She looks absolutely lovely... specially considering that she's probably spent 20 of the past 36 hours travelling. We all hop in the cab and head over to the reception. As we approach the location of the ceremony it is all decked out in flower petals and nice lighting, looking wonderful as everything else has these last couple of days. It is essentially a large tented area on one side and a open buffet area on the other side. I'm still feeling slightly woozy at this point... the idea of food isn't sounding so great.

But then there are all these waiter guys wandering around with serving dishes full of stuff. I turn down most of them, but one guy has this wondeful looking pre-shredded pieces of tandoori chicken. I think it was all white meat too, but maybe that's just the way it looked. It was dry and lightly spiced, just the way I like it. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted some, which doesn't make a lot of sense for somebody on an uneven stomach. But I grabbed a couple of pieces with the supplied toothpicks and gobbled it down. Ok, no problems so far. We sat down at this table together and it wasn't very long before Nyay and his family stop by to say hi. We introduce Devika to everybody and of course the conversations about Bollywood movies starts right up. This time with the addition of Devika animated opinions about things. We take a brief break to run through the buffet line, and I'm looking for more of that tandoori chicken, but I can't find it. I do find some nice butter chicken that endss up hitting the spot almost as well. I actually end up eating a complete, albeit fairly light, meal of indian food without much issue. I still have this kinda crazy feeling in my stomach, so I sit pretty still throughout the entire evening and I don't really up or move around or anything until it's time to go.

We eventually get away from movies and discuss Kenya, which is where Nyay's family lived for quite awhile. Nyay's father is quite a hoot, and he enthusiastically told us about how all of Kenya celebrated when Obama won the election, and they actually declared a national holiday on Dec 5th (Kenya is one day ahead of the US, so when our election results were announced, it was already the 5th in Kenya). So from now on in Kenya, Dec 5th is a day of celebration and revelry simply because Barack Obama won the election. He also told us that they had to create a brand new police outpost in the villiage where Obama was born (I recall that is how it phrased it, as Obama was born in the US and spend some time in Kenya at some point in his life), because people were coming in from all over and just taking mementoes. Like fenceposts and pieces of house and rocks and everything. So they had create a special police station where there had never been once before just to tackle this interesting problem. At least that is how the story goes....

Eventually the time comes to leave, once again I look around and realize that most of the guests have already left. So we saw our goodbyes to this wonderful family and make sure that we've got some way of keeping in touch, and we part ways. Hopefully not for the last time. We hook up with our driver, drop off Devika at home, get our bags for our trips over the next several days, and head back to Gurgaon. When we get to the complex, and into the elevator, I realize that my stomach is feeling fine. Like totally fine. And it seems that whatever it way went away just as suddenly as it came on. I celebrate a little as the idea of a 5 hour train ride with a woozy stomach wasn't a very fun idea.

We get to the door at about 11pm, Savita lets us in, and I'm pretty sure she was staying up late just to let us in. We step into our room and can immediately hear the music blaring from the concert hall across the way. We've got a very early morning to catch the train the Jaipur, so we try to hit the hay quickly. Rebecca has no problem with that, but I've been sleeping most of the last 24 hours, so I'm not quite sleepy yet. I stay up to do some writing and check up on a minor issue brewing at work. I'm probably only up an hour or so past Rebecca before turning in as well.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


cornelius on

Barack's birthplace in Kenya???
I thought Barack hadn't been to Kenya until his late 20's ... especially since 1 of the criteria for being president is being born within the United States. :-)

kirby on

Re: Barack's birthplace in Kenya???
Ya ya... I wrote it down wrong... I'll go fix it now. We were told by these indian-kenyans that he was born there, or something like that. A lot of this blogging is just trying to record all of the impressions as they happen, and I don't always get the context explained right

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: