Partying in the Sand

Trip Start May 26, 2006
Trip End Jan 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Qatar  ,
Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Well as life goes on and on in Doha and as I am just about to hit the four month mark of being here I have come to the conclusion that we do make the most of our time living here in the sand.

Work is Work so I am not going to go into detail about that side of things, apart from that it is interesting. However, on the social side of things I Love It, I never did the whole university thing but I think if I did, it would have been a lot like the last few weeks in Doha.
PARTY, PARTY and a few more Parties. So each week since I returned from London there seems to have been something massive happening on the weekend here (Thursday night being the start of our weekend)

The last few weeks began with a follow up Pool Party at a friends Villa (the first one was had a month earlier where I think the whole expat community passed through the doors and was thrown in the pool. There were DJ's on decks, dancing around in bathers, lots of drinks and we wont go into detail about the few injuries and trips to the hospital that were also required (No not me just to clarify)slippery floors are not a good idea when there are tiles and concrete involved)

Anyway that was the beginning, this pool party was a bit tamer but still big. The week that followed was a long weekend over here, so as most people only found out a week earlier that we didn't need to work there was a mass exit out of the country with a lot of my friends off to Dubai and Bahrain for a bit of sight seeing.

Not Me though! as we only found out that we didn't have to work a week before it had been scheduled that we would be having Volunteer training on the Saturday, right in the middle of the days off!!!!!it was too late to change it, so I was stuck in Doha. I didn't really mind as was looking forward to having a few sleep ins and time to relax at home.

The weekend involved a lot of drinking and it was actually nice as so many people were away. Went to a roof top villa party on the Thursday night, the Villa is called "The Camel Toe" and they have random parties every month or so. They have a full Bar set up on the roof and everyone brings a donation to the bar and then can drink for the rest of the night, not to bad at all. I didn't have a big night as it was about 40degrees and 100% humidity on the roof, definitely not drinking weather.

The next day we had organized a group of people to all go out to an "All you can eat" champagne brunch at the top floor of the Sheraton hotel, which is located right on the Corniche overlooking the bay, fantastic view. Great group of people, food and drinks, we sat there all afternoon eating as much as possible then once it was finished went out to one of the few bars in Doha to finish off the night. For the rest of the weekend we stayed around our apartment building relaxing, eating and drinking and not much else. It was nice to have a few days off before getting back to work, because as of the following week we were working six days a week as standard!

So the following week was a bit of a change my Mum and Dad flew over to visit which was fantastic, picked them up at the airport and was so excited to show them around my new home here in Doha. The next few days was spend showing them the few sights that were on offer, the shopping centers, the Souks, the cornich, the beach, the fancy hotels, the Zoo (I finally got to see an Oryx which is the mascot for the games; looks kind of like a goat/antelope). We pretty much hung out, went out for dinners and caught up, which I loved. They met all my friends here and saw that it is a very interesting place (and also check up that I was looking after myself - I think I'm doing quiet well, hey mum??). After staying in Doha for 4 days, they then headed off to Dubai and had a ball doing all the touristy things, going on a desert safari and experiencing another part of the Middle East. Then it was back to Doha for a night and off to Bahrain for a few more (they covered more of the Middle East in 2 weeks than I have yet!) Bahrain they said was an experience with crazy taxi divers and not a great deal more, however they did make friends with an English Couple who lived in Saudi and learnt all about life over there and got shown around the market and bars as they had been there before.
After Bahrain they were back to visit me and again I was off to the airport, I think this 2 weeks made up for all the times they had taken me to the airport over the years. It was great to have them come back and forth, mixed it up a bit for them and I felt like I had then here for a long time then just a few days. It was very sad to see them go as it also made me a bit homesick as got use to having them around. It was also great to have them here as now when I talk to them they know who, where and what I am talking about.

In between mum and dad coming and going we still continued our crazy month of parties (on their last night including them in one of our famous karaoke parties in the lounge room! mum you loved it). Well, so in between the busy parent period (about 6 of my friend mums came over around the same time) the next party we had was Big Dogs School Disco!! My friend Michael (Aka Big Dog) was turning 25 so a group of his friend decided to get together form a committee and throw him a massive party in the theme of "SCHOOL DISCO". So after a few weeks of planning and a last minute chosen venue the party was a massive suscess. Everyone got in the spirt of the Dress up and the entire night was like a high school dance. We had people dressed up as school girls & Boys (some of the opposite gender)headmasters, sports teachers, bus drivers, lunch ladies and nurses just to name a few, very funny indeed check out some of the photos.

The following weekend we again a massive one, with one of my cloests friends Birthdays. Shay had been organising this Dessert Trip through a tour company for weeks and a small party in the Desert had slowly turned into a massive 160 people tour. This is what happend when you send out an email to your friends in Doha and tell them they can pass it on!
The tour company was great and had everything sorted, Cath had designed a comerative tshirts with a very cool looking camel with the slogan "Pimp My Camel".
So decked out in our tshirts and feather bowas (it was Shay's Birthday so we had to dress up for the occasion)So after the weeks of planning and slight headaches we were ready for the safari!

Thursday was not the most productive day as we were all really excited about the tour, we finished spot on 2 o'clock then a quick dash home to pick up supplies and get changed. Then to the meeting spot, so all 160 of us met at one central spot and piled into 30 Four Wheel Drives, as it was shay's bday we had the first car so we started the convoy. We drove 45 minutes out of Doha to the coast whrere we started half an hour of 4 wheel driving through the massive sand dunes it was fantastic, 5 girls in the car you could imagin the screaming as the car was pretty much vertical, it was so much fun but we had to stop as it was starting to get dark and we needed to get to out camp.

We arrived at camp and i was pretty impressed nestled in between sanddunce was an amazing set up of Arabric style tents in a semi circle around a wooden dance floor with DJ, it was fantastic. We all ran to the tents to located out sleeping spot for the night, well at least somewhere to leave our bags. The party then began the DJ pumped our music as we sat around drinking and smoking shisha to get the night started, then after a speach and signing of Happy Birthday to Shay the party went crazy with everyone
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: