Trip Start Oct 01, 2012
Trip End Sep 15, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mexico  , Yucatan Peninsula,
Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Following on from my last blog, we won our basketball match, despite only starting with 4 players and playing in the heat. Wow, these days you can really feel the sun getting stronger, and I was sweating unbelievable amounts outside without any shade. My eyebrows were not doing its job and it was almost a constant battle with the salty sting in my eyes. Maybe I am more tanned now, as this was the first time I didn't get shouted at "Wuera" other than by my own teammates...

The time had come to finally make the visit to Cozumel, a 45 minute ferry ride away from Playa del Carmen. Rosie and I left the house at 6am in order to make the 8am ferry... ouch. We made it in good time (Playa is about an hour away from Cancun in a little combi van,) and we had set sail for Cozumel.

Sam met us at the port and we went for breakfast at the top of a 7th storey building with an incredible view of the sea. A beautiful view for a long overdue catch up with Sam, one of the Southampton girls living in Cozumel. Possibly the nicest breakfast I have eaten here in Mexico, actual sausages, eggs and papas! Accompanied with my first Cinnamon roll here too, mmm, tasty! 


After the usual scenario with Mexican planning and last minute dropouts we were at the marina ready to head of for an incredible day. The boat was ready with nacho chips, hand-made-grandma's secrete-recipe- guacamole, barbecued chicken, rice and tortillas together with multiple chelas (beers,) tequila, vodka and refrescos (sodas.)

Our first stop was to the Palancar Reef and our final stop was the Colombia Reef- both popular scuba diving destinations. We spent around 45/50 minutes at each spot, exploring the beautiful world below. The water was so nice and warm and it was the best snorkelling I have ever done! The reef formations were incredible and the curious fish seemed to follow our lead. During the day, the highlights were that we saw 4 or 5 turtles casually swimming along the reefs and two massive lobsters (which I have never seen before.)




In between the two reef visits we stopped off at "El Cielo" which rightly translates to "Heaven." You can see from the unedited pictures below the undeniable natural beauty. I don't think I could ever get tired of the bright blue colours of the sea in Quintana Roo. Blows me away every single time. The sea was an incredible shade of blue and it was crystal clear, allowing us to see all of the starfish from our boat. It was time for our first chela of the day as we relaxed in the calm waters of El Cielo, whilst appreciating all of the starfish. They went on forever, in every direction you swam, there were so many! El Cielo really did live up to its name, it was paradise!

After the three incredible snorkelling stops it was time to stop off at a deserted beach to enjoy some food. Like I mentioned before, they came prepared with all sorts of bebidas for us and they quickly served us tequila (double of course) and cranberry juice which, surprisingly, went well together. I very quickly drank 4 of these and I was starting to feel it. The food was tasty too with chicken, tortillas, rice, onions and guacamole.
Check out a little video I put together of a couple of clips I shot that day

Then it was time to head back to the main island to make our way back to Playa del Carmen and then Cancun. What a day. Lovely time spent with Sam, Rosie, two of Sam's friends and an Aussie man we picked up on the way. Such beauty to be found underwater, it really was an amazing day!

After an early start, drinking during the day and peaking during the afternoon, the 2 hours travelling back to Cancun made me sleepy, but I just couldn't turn down a night out with Shell and her mates. I met them in Senor Frogs to find one of them behind the bar with an apron on serving us all drinks. Standard. Hahaha so funny, and she actually did a pretty good job with a yard of beer, too many shots and multiple cocktail concoctions.

Oh what a night, we were all having such a good time and inevitably we got involved with the slide which throws you out into the Lagoon Nichupte. Amazing!!! At the back of the dancefloor there is a vertical ladder which you climb to reach the start of the slide, and then there is a pretty big drop into the lagoon. SO much fun, but then the bouncer got annoyed with us because we didn't stick to the "one at a time" rule... obviously. However, this didn't stop us. Of course we decided to then make our own way into the crocodile infested lagoon (2000 of them) by any means necessary. This was my last night out before 3 weeks living on far too many medications, so I was pretty drunk to say the least, and of course the Aussies are such a laugh... so when I saw that they were somersaulting successfully into the lagoon I believed in myself. Amazing, no idea how I managed it, but click on the image to the left to watch the video. So funny. No big deal given the amount of bikini photos that are now on my facebook, it is just funny funny.

The night was cut short when the bouncers told us that they were closing, so we made our way back to the hotel (I managed to get in again- pinche Kim,) and all of our clothes were soaking wet so the obvious choice was to continue the fiesta in the swimming pool. Three of us were in there when the SAME security man walked past us, (if you didn't read my last blog, I managed to bribe my way into staying in the hotel.) and we just did the drunken thing of "Shhhhhh!!!! Shhhhh!!!" and he just smirked and carried on walking :) Such a good night and I was devastated that I had to leave the next day to go to work, my clothes were still soaking and I was just generally not in a good state. Shower and off to work, easy... Looking forward to the photos! 


After work, I made it back to the hotel. It was hard to believe I was there in the morning... such a long day. Again, I managed to sneak in and join the girls at the buffet whilst enjoying the dance show/evening entertainment. At the end it was then time to say goodbye to the girls and Shell as they were leaving early in the morning to continue their travels :( After two years it was such an amazing week and it was so good to catch up with this girl. No tears this time, as I know for sureeee I'll be seeing her again soon... not out of your life just yet mate, rydo, settle down. 

Like I cheesily wrote on twitter, the beautiful thing about travelling is that you meet so many incredible people and you know that with some it is never a "goodbye," it really is a "see ya later..." 

Until next time,
Kim x

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: