Phi phi part II: Bucket-1 Pat-0

Trip Start Dec 01, 2009
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  , Krabi,
Friday, January 1, 2010

On Christmas Sarah travelled to Phuket to pick Pat up from the airport. They were very excited to see each other after 6 months! The last ferry to Koh Phi Phi leaves at 2 pm, and Pat's flight arrived at 8, so they spent the night on Phuket. Pat had his first thai curry, which he loved, and then they set out to explore the nightlife. They were a bit disappointed at the trashyness of the bars- every single one was had "bar girls" in santa outfits out front trying to lure in the western men. They even tried asking a group of teens on the street for a good bar with no success. Finally they found a Flinstone- themed bar without prostitutes.

The day after Christmas was also the 5 year anniversary of the tsunami which destroyed many of the Thai islands and left people all over the world dead. There was a buddhist memorial ceremony at our hotel that Mom and Lindsey could hear from their bedroom.

The next day Sarah and Pat rejoined Mom and Lindsey on Koh Phi Phi. Immediately upon arrival they were forced on a death march up the mountain to the Sunset Viewpoint. We suspect this was Mom's introduction of her "no slackers" policy to Pat.  We ate dinner at Papaya and spoiled Pat with the best thai food ever. Lindsey was tired and headed home, but Pat was eager for his first bucket. Sarah and Pat headed to Reggae Bar where Pat sipped on the sweet sweet nectar. After drinking a whole one, he claimed that they weren't very strong. We then headed to the beach for dancing where he realized how strong they buckets actually are. Like everyone's first night on the bucket,  it was a bit rough.

 Unfortunately, there was a murder at Slinky's Bar on Christmas- Apparently the owner owed someone money...or drugs...or had stolen a girlfriend (many rumors were flying) and when other guys showed up to get the money, drugs or girl the owner shot one of them.  This also meant that the beach bars were now closing at 1. This might not have been a bad thing for Pat...

The next day we rented a speed boat to tour around the Phi Phi Islands. There are two main islands- Phi Phi Don (the larger one where we were staying) and Phi Phi Lay (the smaller island where only a few people live. Access to this island is strictly controlled because it is where the bird's nests for the chinese delicacy bird's nest soup are harvested). First we stopped at Monkey Beach. Lindsey and Sarah hate monkeys, but Pat and Mom were excited to see the monkeys eating bananas and drinking cokes. (they are too human like for Sarah and Lindsey!!). Then we headed over for a beautiful hidden lagoon on Phi Phi Lay where we went for a swim between the sheer rock cliffs. Sarah warned Pat to watch out for the Sea Urchins, and he mocked her. Until he got stung by one. Then we pulled into a second lagoon where we went snorkelling- the fish were coloful and the coral was beautiful. There were Angel fish, Parrot fish and even a school of barracudas. We circled Phi Phi Lay and landed at Maya beach, the gorgeous location where the Leonardo DiCaprio film "The Beach" was shot. As the sun was setting we headed back for Phi Phi Don and had a final dinner with Mom. Afterwards, fewer buckets were consumed than the night before.

The next day we said a sad goodbye to Mom when we put her on the 2 pm ferry to head to Phuket to catch her flight home. Lindsey signed up for a camping trip to Maya Beach, and Pat and Sarah went to Papaya again, and hung out at the normal bars.  They closed at one, but Sarah and Pat found a beach bar with a campfire that was open later, so they spent their last night on Phi Phi relaxing on the beach.

Lindsey spent the night on Maya beach with 24 others. (only 25 people are allowed each night. Everyone else is in danger of being shot on sight by the bird nest collectors. Those birds nests are EXTREMELY valuable.) There were of course buckets invovled (in Thailand there are always buckets!) and they spent the night sleeping on the beach.

The next day Sarah and Pat left on the overnight ferry to Ko Samui, and Lindsey spent one more night in the dorm on Phi Phi. Of course, she ended up at all the usual hangout spots. She took the overnight ferry the next day to meet Sarah and Pat on Ko Samui, so they could all go to Ko Phanang for the massive Full Moon New Years party.

Glums and Glows

Glum: Rough night with the bucket
Glow:  Snorkelling on the speed boat

Glum: Mom leaving
Glow: Spending the night on Maya Beach

Glum: When Pat got dropped by the angry Russian
Glow: 60 second knockout at reggae bar by the irish champion!

Glum: Leaving her daughters
Glow: Spending the day on the speedboat 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


rayray51 on

please tell me you tried birds nest soup?!?! sigourney weaver's work on planet earth would be for nothing if you did not try the soup!!!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: