Wakey, wakey Dublin

Trip Start Jun 03, 2009
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Ireland  , County Dublin,
Thursday, June 4, 2009

Things were going smoothly on the way to the airport, until Lindsey noticed she had forgotten her jacket, so we had to turn around. Diane seemed a bit stressed for time. We did make our flight, but we had to cut our pre-flight drink with our mothers. Brittany took a Xanax on the flight, so she was completely incoherent for the next 7 hours. The food was okay, but we should have appreciated it more, because it would be our only hot meal for the next 48 hours. The food at the aiports was way over priced, so we got our nourishment from trail mix and 2 ham sandwiches that Lindsey stuffed in her pockets during the first flight.

We landed at 9:30 AM in Dublin and went to the tourist information center. We had an 8 hour layover, and there was one clear way to spend it: At the Guiness Factory. The tourist info center judgingly asked if we were headed to the factory that early and we were forced to deny it.

The factory is really interesting and we learned about the four ingredients in Guiness: yeast, barley (lindsey's favorite- we could not stop her from eating some), hops and water. We all think that we would like to start brewing our own beer when we get home.  We learned about the different kinds of Guiness and are excited to try the "Foreign Stout" which will be available in Asia and Africa.

The tasting station was another important stop. You can see the pictures from there.

Then we each used our coupon  for one drink at the Gravity Bar with a 365 degrees view overlooking Dublin. It was packed for 11 am. We hadn't eaten in hours, so it just took one drink for us to leave the bar giggling.

We made it on our 3:15 flight to Athens and promptly fell asleep. Lindsey, Jon and I were sitting next to each other, and Brittany was across the aisle. Brittany woke up to the old man next to her poking her and saying "Wakey Wakey." We don't really know why he did that, but within the hour they were fast friends.

We arrived in Greece at 9:30 PM. Good news: We had to walk through the H1N1 disease detector and we all passed!

Then we picked up our bags. Lindsey opened her bag to readjust and found that the lotion exploded everywhere. We all had to moisturize our arms and legs as part of the cleanup effort. The one greek word I knew came in handy when I had to say Thank you "Efhirsto"  to the cleaning lady for letting me steal all of her plastic garbage bags. We then heading out to find our express bus and our hostel...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: