Snorkelling trip to Sabolo and Seraya Islands

Trip Start Jan 27, 2014
Trip End Feb 21, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  , East Nusa Tenggara,
Monday, February 3, 2014

After a quality sleep, a 6am wake up call was greeted with a grunt and a fart ( I think) as it was time to head off to some deserted islands to reignite my snorkelling career...but not before another hotel move to the Centro Bajo Hotel- damn A.D.D.!

After dropping of my luggage it was time to hop into a minivan for a one hour bumpy journey to the port; seems that I may be doing this tour on my own! When I got to the port, I was asked to jump onto a dingy that was full of water and looked like a toilet.For about ten seconds, I thought this was my transport to the islands; luckily it was just a stepping stone to a bigger boat- your typical South East Asian timber vessel! The boat was all mine, apart from the captain of course!

It took one hour to get to the first island , . I remember saying that I felt like Tom Hanks in the village; this was even more deserted - it was just me- my own island! The captain, 'Freddy' lobbed out the anchor and headed straight into his cabin for a kip! It was time for me to gear up for some snorkelling.

The water, which actually was a little bit cool, was full of all sorts of crazy looking fish that obviously I don't know the names of! After about half an hour I think we were all sick of looking at each other so I headed back to dry land to stretch out- this is probably the most relaxed February 4th I've ever experienced.

After about an hour of horizontallity ( new word I've invented for lounging), Freddy roared across the beach to signal departure time for another island, Seraya. You could clearly see that there was a storm brewing not far away and Freddy looked very anxious, which did nothing to help my confidence of survival!

We had to take the long route to Seraya because of the waves crashing against the boat- which was pretty cool in all fairness...

Seraya was much more populated than Sabalo; I counted five locals there, all sleeping- what a life. Of course Freddy headed back into his cabin for another nap and left me to 'explore' the island, which was about five hundred metres long and had about twenty huts you could sleep in for $20 a night- no thank you...

Luckily, the storm passed fairly quickly but I was still stranded on the island for about an hour as everybody slept. This is probably why I wrote such a detailed update on here.

I wasn't sure if I was just completely relaxed or bored off my tits as I sat under a tree writing this blog. Either way I wasn't working so I'm sure it was a feeling of relaxation...

It wasn't until I got back to the hotel at about 6pm that I realised how sunburned I was. I hopped into the shower and there was almost a sizzling sound coming off me. I only put suncream on my face so it's my fault I suppose...rolling on the imminent skin peeling!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: