The Roman Baths and Stonehenge

Trip Start Jan 04, 2006
Trip End Apr 28, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  ,
Sunday, February 12, 2006

I know its been a long time. I'm way overdue. But last weekend I went to Bath with Erin. Good times! We left after class on Friday, and took the train to Bath Spa. We arrived around 7, and set off to find our hostel. We got a bit lost (even though the town is small). I guess we looked pretty lost because a nice British man stopped and asked if we wanted help to find something. He told us where our hostel was, and said that him and his family were going that way, so we walked with them. Erin and I got to talking to his wife, and it turns out that she was a tourguide in Bath, and had been for 10 years. What luck huh? So we got to the hostel, checked in at the smoky bar and headed upstairs. It wasnt' bad (see pics) 10 bed, coed, shared bathroom and showers..Could have been worse. we were starving so we set out to find a restaurant. We walked around the adorable town of Bath, and ended up at this little pub. I had chips and a burger..and REAL KATCHUP!!! First time in a month and a half. Mmm...Then we walked around a little bit more, but it was 9 by this point, and everything closes by not much to do. We went back, met some people in the "chill out room" and watched some TV...ahhhhh, tv. Miss that too. Then went to bed early, ready for a full day the next day.

Sat we got up, had our toast/cereal, coffee/tea breakfast included in our hostel stay and headed to the tourist info centre to find stuff to do. We ended up taking a 2 hour walking tour (totally free!!!) of Bath. It was informative and interesting to know the history of the 2nd century town. Then we had some lunch from a cute little pastry cafe (I had my first jacket potato!). Then we met our tour for Stonehenge. We rode the 50 minute trip in a 15 passenger van. This being the first time I had been in a car-like vehicle since the ride to the airport, I got a little car sick. But it passed, and we got to see the wonder that is Stonehenge. It was actually a lot smaller than I thought, but really neat to see. We spent an hour there before headed back to Bath in the van. When stopped at the small town of Bradford on Avon and got some pictures. Then we went back and went shopping a little and had a nice dinner in a real italian restaurant. By this time everything was closed, so we headed back to the "chill out room" and watched movies with a girl we met the night before from Quebec, and 2 girls from some small college in Michigan. Another early night with more sightseeing the next morning.

Sunday we went to the baths. The part I was most excited about. We spent a long time going through the museum listening to the audio tour. Then we saw them. They were amazing. The mist, and the ruins. The statues all along to the top. The Abbey over looking the whole thing. Words can't even describe what it was like. So peaceful even with the early morning visitors. It was amazing to think of how long it has been there. The rocks were hundreds of years old..and I was walking on them. We spent along time just walking around the main bath and taking it in, and taking pictures. I didn't ever want to leave. But alas, it was time. We headed over to the Jane Austin house museum. She spent time in bath, and the museum was dedicated to that part of her life. I didn't know much about her, so decided to skip the 4 quid entrance fee, and just go to the public tea room and enjoy a cup while Erin, a huge fan, did the museum. The tea room was adorable! White linen, fireplace, cozy. I sat by myself enjoying tea, and listening to the spanish family beside me, and watching a british mother teach her 2 little girls how to eat a cream tea, as it was their first time. No, I'm not a creepy stalker, but it was just nice to observe other cultures and just enjoy some great time alone.

It was then, sadly, time to board the train to come back to good ole' manch. We had to switch trains, and to our surprise and delight, we realized we were in Whales. So I spent an hour in Whales last sunday, which was pretty cool. Got back around 6:30, and got ready for the long week ahead.

This week I was on my first attachment, or internship, or work experince (as they call it here). It was hard, long 9 1/2 hour days full of usual internship busy work. I worked for Communique PR. It was kind of cool. I hated it at first, but in the end I liked it, and was sad to leave. I became known as the "living legend" I think because I did things quickly there. So I think they liked me too. Highlights of the week included: talking to the editors or Cosmo, Elle, Red, Best, family circle, etc. and talking to 25 modeling agencies including IMG, Elite, and Ford. Not much more exciting stuff, but I think that is good. It was a VERY slow week, but now its over and I have a good reference for my resume. This weekend was very relaxed, but now its back to the grind of classes. 3 more weeks until SPring break, I can't beleive it. 19 days to be exact...

Next weekend will hopefully include day trips to Windsor Castle and the lake district. Both with the Uni International Society. We'll see how that pans out. As for now..time to watch a movie and get to bed.

Until my next adventure....
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


jlm572 on

Kelly, I'm soon going to have to stop reading your journal - every time you have an entry like this, it makes me miss England like crazy. The coincidences are just too weird - every story you tell makes me remember some little tidbit of my trip. Live it up and have tons of fun - it'll be over before you know it.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: